Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are all the owners into the Performance side of things? Doesn't look like this forum has that many people on it, so was wondering who is more in to the racing aspect of things.

·
2,701 Posts
There are a few different places you can go.

www.ScionLife.com is the largest online scion community and likely the best place to start if you're looking.

If you have questions, feel free to ask as there are plenty of us here. We're just not as vocal as some groups. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still here of course. :)
...don't go on SL much. Got sick of all the haters and bs.

That's why I stay in the FI section. Drama can go down there as well, but at least I know I'm talking with smarter people than others in other sections...lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me too. Its all relative tho. The only FI the majority can talk is turbo. Get em on something else like, god forbid, superchargers and they just regurgitate the hate.

It's mostly a pro "turbo" crowd sure. If you already have a S/C setup then I don't see any throwing you to the wolves sorta speak. But if you go asking about getting a S/C then the turbo crowd is going to scold you for sure. Turbo setups are 5x more powerful than a S/C setup and can be had for the same price, so you can kinda understand why there is so many turbo setups vs S/C ones.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
The turbo gives you more bang for sure, but once you factor in all the tuning/dyno time involved in keeping a quality turbo kit reliable and add transport if you're not close to a tuner and and possible future maintenance/repair cost of custom/non oem parts and the turbo kit ends up costing more.
(...contrary to popular belief, Toyota/TRD does have the parts to maintain and repair the 2AZ SC units it has sold.)

Also, there were a few of us who got our SC kits new and installed with a warranty for +/-$2200.
Mine has been running reliably at 10lbs for a couple years now. Even drove it From St.L, MO to Toronto, Canada and back a couple times.

I'll admit that this is my second SC kit. The first one was incorrectly installed and took out my entire short block, tho that coulda happened with a poorly installed/tuned turbo kit too. The tag on the repair was +$10k. Difference is that everything was covered under warranty, so IMO there's something to be said for it.

I'm not pro or con either I just can't stand the dbags who think they know everything and think they have a right to force it on others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The turbo gives you more bang for sure, but once you factor in all the tuning/dyno time involved in keeping a quality turbo kit reliable and add transport if you're not close to a tuner and and possible future maintenance/repair cost of custom/non oem parts and the turbo kit ends up costing more.
(...contrary to popular belief, Toyota/TRD does have the parts to maintain and repair the 2AZ SC units it has sold.)

Also, there were a few of us who got our SC kits new and installed with a warranty for +/-$2200.
Mine has been running reliably at 10lbs for a couple years now. Even drove it From St.L, MO to Toronto, Canada and back a couple times.

I'll admit that this is my second SC kit. The first one was incorrectly installed and took out my entire short block, tho that coulda happened with a poorly installed/tuned turbo kit too. The tag on the repair was +$10k. Difference is that everything was covered under warranty, so IMO there's something to be said for it.

I'm not pro or con either I just can't stand the dbags who think they know everything and think they have a right to force it on others.

Sorry man, but that is rather inaccurate information. A turbo kit setup is no more, no less reliable that the TRD S/C was. I have had my tC boosted for 4years, and didn't suffer any more or less mechanical upkeep as a S/C tC owner. Turbo guys tend to want to push the envelope a little more, hence why you see a per capital number of downed tC owners. Not to mention the ratio of turbo to S/C tC's out there, of course you are going to notice more downed turbo tC's. But the S/C is no different with seals going out, shaft failures, etc...

$2,220 install for the S/C sounds like a used setup. They were more than that for the parts from the dealer, thus a comparison can not be made with a used S/C setup to a new turbo setup. Would have to compare New to New and a New S/C setup would at one time, set you back $4000 +/-, same that could be had for a turbo setup with reliability.

I personally went from 8lbs of boost for a full year, to 9.5 for another 6 months, to 10lbs and then on up to 12lbs for the remainder of the time I had that setup. Now that setup is gone and I'm working on getting my new setup from PTuning.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Sorry man, but that is rather inaccurate information. A turbo kit setup is no more, no less reliable that the TRD S/C was. I have had my tC boosted for 4years, and didn't suffer any more or less mechanical upkeep as a S/C tC owner. Turbo guys tend to want to push the envelope a little more, hence why you see a per capital number of downed tC owners. Not to mention the ratio of turbo to S/C tC's out there, of course you are going to notice more downed turbo tC's. But the S/C is no different with seals going out, shaft failures, etc...
Agreed but for the first year or remainder of your regular warranty all repairs are covered. I've seen just as many turbos go boom as SCs. ...and not just on tCs.

$2,220 install for the S/C sounds like a used setup. They were more than that for the parts from the dealer, thus a comparison can not be made with a used S/C setup to a new turbo setup. Would have to compare New to New and a New S/C setup would at one time, set you back $4000 +/-, same that could be had for a turbo setup with reliability.
Actually, a good number of us got them brand new from Sparks Toyota/TRD for $1800 shipped. They were on sale for a long time. My install was less than $400 at a local dealer.

I personally went from 8lbs of boost for a full year, to 9.5 for another 6 months, to 10lbs and then on up to 12lbs for the remainder of the time I had that setup. Now that setup is gone and I'm working on getting my new setup from PTuning.
If the SC came with a configurable piggyback or EMS rather than a universally safe ECU flash they'd make better power at the stock 7lbs, or my 10, after a good custom tune.
If the only thing I had to pay for was a pulley and dyno/tune time and maybe an IC of some type, I'd be at 12 or 14lbs already.

Like I said, I'm not in favor of one over the other, they both have their strong and weak points and the FI'ed 2AZ isn't a fair platform on which to base a comparison due to the rap it got for the first batch of SCs and the method by which TRD chose to tune them.
I just don't care for the guys on SL, and anywhere else for that matter, who swear by what they've read online and regurgitate misinformation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed but for the first year or remainder of your regular warranty all repairs are covered. I've seen just as many turbos go boom as SCs. ...and not just on tCs.
Yeah I didn't really care to much about warranty. I boosted my tC 3 months after having it. I take it to the dealer and come out with more problems than when I went in with.

Actually, a good number of us got them brand new from Sparks Toyota/TRD for $1800 shipped. They were on sale for a long time. My install was less than $400 at a local dealer.

That's not the same though still, as they were not running "sales" when they first were introduced. A sale for them didn't happen till year+ later. And I would imagine if they sold well, they wouldn't have had a sale for them at all. Probably went on sale to finally phase out and get rid of the remaining S/C'ers.

If the SC came with a configurable piggyback or EMS rather than a universally safe ECU flash they'd make better power at the stock 7lbs, or my 10, after a good custom tune.
If the only thing I had to pay for was a pulley and dyno/tune time and maybe an IC of some type, I'd be at 12 or 14lbs already.
Emanage Ultimate + S/C is a good combo.

Like I said, I'm not in favor of one over the other, they both have their strong and weak points and the FI'ed 2AZ isn't a fair platform on which to base a comparison due to the rap it got for the first batch of SCs and the method by which TRD chose to tune them.
I just don't care for the guys on SL, and anywhere else for that matter, who swear by what they've read online and regurgitate misinformation.
At the same time though, no amount of tuning brings the TRD S/C up to par with a turbo setup. It's physics. If it were possible to have a Roots type design on the 2az rather than the Centrifugal, then there would be a lot closer performance gap than there is now.

SL definitely is annoying and full of drama/idiots. At the same time though, PTuning and World Racing are frequent gurus to the F/I section, so that's where I stay...lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts