Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new here and have a couple questions.

I have a 1995 1/2 Tacoma ext cab, 3.4 V6, 2X4, auto. It is bone stock and I am considering throwing a couple of dollars at it in efforts to step up the performance. Please comment on my thoughts and let me know what kind of gains I can expect and is it worth it. This is what I am consdering:

K&N Intake or other intake

Cat back exhaust. Which is best?

Throttle Body Spacer

Performance Chip

What did I miss? Any suggestions?

Another question. Why are there few mods for this year model? Most mods are for 99-03. Has the 3.4 changed that much since 95? Is my 95 4X2 V6 that unpopular?

Thank you in advnace for any and all comments.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Nix the intake, they're only for sound and looks (if you're into that). They claim 10-15HP increase, you'll only get 3-6 if that. It's really a hot-air intake rather than a cold-air intake. The TBS is a piece of junk ans well along with the chip. Send me the $300 you'll be spending to me and you'll get the same performance. If you don't believe me then check out www.gadgetonline.com to see for yourself. Others will chime is with the same opinion.

If you want lots of bang for the buck do the elbow removal mod as well as the deckplate mod. In short, the elbow mod is the removal of the elbow looking intake that goes from inside the fender to your airbox. That itself should give you a few horses for free. You can also make a 4-5" diameter hole in front of your airbox to let more air into your engine. it's the same idea as the aftermarket intake, but you get it for free. Use a quality aftermarket airfilter like Amsoil and you'll be good to go.

The cat back will gain you some HP. Look into Borla, TRD (Borla makes them for TRD), Gibson and Jardine. These are the more popular ones.

If you have any questions, just reply to this post or you can PM/email me for more help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
humanid,

Thanks, thats the kind of info I was looking for. It looks like an elbow removal and the deckplate mod would be a good start.

I see that Gibson has a cat back exhaust for $255.00 Aluminized or a $345.00 stainless. Is stainless worth the extra bread?

Then I can get a set of nice wheels and "wha la", a new truck.

But seriously, I bought my truck brand new in 95 with all the bells and whistles (V6, PW, PL, cruise, ect) and just don't want to get rid of it. It is in great condidtion, always been in the garage, and never been wrecked. I have always done the maintenance and it runs like the day I brought it home. In the last 5 years I have put a total of 15,000 miles on it.

After ready this, it sounds like I am trying to sell it to you. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Paul

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Paul, anytime, man! As for the Gibson it's really up to you. I think the stainless adds a little bling to it so if that's for you, go for it. I think you'll feel a littel"get-up-n-go" after you do your mods. If you don't do any water crossings you should just make a hole in the front of your airbox rather than adding a deckplate.

Take a look at other boards like www.yotatech.com , www.tacomaterritory.com and www.customtacos.com . Boards like those are more truck oriented if you should have any more questions. Let me know how everything goes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
humanid,

Not sure if you got my pm, but whare do I find a deck plate to complete the deckplate mod?

Thanks,
Paul

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Oh yeah, you don't really need a deckplate to do the mod. All you need to do is to drill a 4-5" hole in the center of your airbox. If you do any deep water crossings then you will need the deckplate so you can close it off when you do the crossing, otherwise you really don't need it

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Pretty much the same as making a hole in your airbox; more air to your engine. I did both to get the maximum effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Humanoid,

What is the benifit in replacing the whole cat back exhaust instead of just the muffler?

Thanks again man.

Paul

·
Pondering the choices
112 Posts
well

if the catback is mandrel bent then you will have less restriction than a stock cruch bent pipe since the diameter doesnt shrink at every bend. Its one smooth even same sized curve rather than losingabout 1/4 inch in the crush bending process. It all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
for around 300 bucks you can also get a set of downey headers for the 3.4l engine, if youre going to do the exhaust id look into maybe getting some headers while youve the the exhaust system all apart.

·
Give me somethin to break
05 tundra doublecab
251 Posts
depending on what kit your looking at, a cat back system can also increase your exaust pipe diameter.most of the stuff humanoid told you follows true for this rule too,if you can get your engine to breathe better, it can make more h.p..ie the intake mods-air filter (thats breathe in) the exaust(breathe out).underdrive pulleys are a good theory,as would be losing the stock fan and switching to electric.its all about how much h.p. you want to make v.s how much you want to spend.:lol:p.s have you really only put 15k on your yota in 5 years?if so your horse needs a new saddle :confused: :D :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts