Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded the performance capabilities of their HL? I have a 13 Limited AWD, and the thing has some punch to it. But I was hoping to add more. Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
103 Posts
There wont be much in the way of performance. Remove the screen in the air filter box, free up flow in the catback exhaust, lighter wheels and tires. Maybe a small change in tire diameter to improve final gear ratio (this may affect shift points and speedometer if changed too much).

Poly bushings if they make them(universal measurement?) and lowering springs for handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Camry. I am pretty new to the inner-workings of cars, so I'm going to have to Google everyone of those terms, but I look forward to learning about it. Have you done any of that to your HL?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have taken the screen out of the airbox and I am considering a catback exhaust. I am a little nervous on pulling the trigger on it, not many people have modified exhausts on Highlanders. It is my "familiy" car, I dont want it to sound annoying or loud, just some nice noise when passing some idiot who cant drive. Was thinking of a 5x8 Magnaflow muffler, post cat delete, with the stock tailpipe with resonator. I have had some kind of custom exhaust on every car I have owned except my first(totaled).

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,155 Posts
Add stickers, +5hp each.

Beyond that, aftermarket support for the HL is near zero. Opening up airflow in and out (high flow filter + pass through muffler) can help marginally. I have a K&N drop in and a borla muffler, its a little more responsive, but nothing ground breaking.

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Removing FEDERAL emissions equipment is a FEDERAL CRIME.
We do not allow the discussion of illegal actions on these forums...

Legally speaking, it's 'illegal' to remove federal emissions equipment for on-road use... NOT off road-use. So far the OP has not specified if this is for on or off road use. :x

Ironically in California it is ILLEGAL to have FEDERAL emissions equipment on your car if it's registered in CA... oh the irony! >:D>:D>:D

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,155 Posts
direct replacement filter, fits in the stock housing. It just has a lower pressure drop at the same CFM as a cheap paper filter (flows better). The OEM air intake is already a cold air intake (it draws from in front of the radiator, most modern car intakes are to a degree), a full K&N intake replacement doesn't exist for the HL.

Yes the borla definitely made it throatier and louder.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-highlander-2nd-generation-2008-2013/749194-dc-exhaust-well-really-borla-2.html#post9279449

·
Registered
73 Posts
Removing FEDERAL emissions equipment is a FEDERAL CRIME.
We do not allow the discussion of illegal actions on these forums...
"Post cat delete" as the OP said means that he is keeping the cat converter, not removing it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
"Post cat delete" as the OP said means that he is keeping the cat converter, not removing it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
You sir are not correct.:wink: The OBX cat back exhaust has no rear converter, I would do the same as the OBX, with a Magnaflow muffler on my stock pipe. I have no intention of breaking forum rules, I am merely copying another manufacturers basic design.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,144 Posts
You sir are not correct.:wink: The OBX cat back exhaust has no rear converter, I would do the same as the OBX, with a Magnaflow muffler on my stock pipe. I have no intention of breaking forum rules, I am merely copying another manufacturers basic design.
No forum rule broken. All is well. :)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
AFE or AEM should have a dry air filter for more flow. I don't recommend oiled filters.

Some have fitted the intake kit from the Camry V6 if you want more than just a panel filter upgrade.... Injen, AEM, AFE, KN... might have a Camry intake kit hat can be modded to fit the Highlander.

Catback exhaust can sound good... but pretty sure that the y-pipe is the bottleneck... There was a y-pipe being made for the Camry/Avalon.

And, not much tuning available for the ECU...so mods won't be overly positive. Can only get so much from parasitic loss improvements out of the OE conservative tune.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-camry-5th-6th-gen-2002-2006-2007-2011-2nd-gen-solara-2004-2008/1047737-custom-lightweight-nst-crankshaft-pulley.html
That RAV4 owner had the throttle body bored out a little and a custom pulley made.

Toss the boat anchor 19" wheels for some lightweight 18" rims.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts