Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys!

I was enquiring about a performance chip because my friend had his 4 Runner's Chip reprogrammed and he says you will feel the difference. Here, I was adviced that it's just a scam. Now I am wondering if there are other ways to improve the perfomance excluding nitro or a turbo engine if I already have exhaust and cold air intake installed.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
The only thing left of note is headers and the chip is a scam. The headers by themselves are ok, but paired with the intake and exhaust you will get a bit more, but not much. Dont expect a miracle, the corolla is a economy car.

·
Offcial TN Newbie
08 Corolla S
288 Posts
wow if a chip works, why people need supercharge or turbo?

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
You should ask your friend for dyno charts before and after installing the chip to objectively prove the power gain.

A claim of his butt dyno feeling improvements doesn't mean anything.

To address your other point, the 1ZZ-FE doesn't have any performance potential. If you wanted a buildable 9th gen Corolla that will respond well to mods, you should trade your car in for a 2005 or 2006 XRS.

·
Registered
2007 Corolla CE
12 Posts
I've been looking at turboing the 1ZZ-FE, but it seems that is not very cost-effective as well as being over 3000$ for just the turbo kit, and then about 1000+ for stronger engine internals to be able to increase the boost past 8 psi.

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
Rule of thumb is not if you plan on receiving a performance increase from intake improvements, then you must also increase the exhaust output as well. Unfortunatly slapping exhaust on with your cat still intact isn't going to yield much more than a better sound. So, way your options well, and I would recommend seriously go against any of these types of modifications.

As for a chip, I would just keep your money.

Good luck and do what you think is right

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Not a very good idea.

I had met a Corolla with Intake/header/exhaust + Camcon tune at a Toyota meet. Even when I was bone stock, on the highway I could just run away easily without much fight.

Maybe, TRD supercharger could give you some healthy gains especially in the 2000 - 5000 rpm range,

·
Registered
2010 Camry SEV6
21 Posts
It just isn't a car made for suping up. Everything about it is economy....engine, suspension, brakes etc. But it's a great commuter car lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts