Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

My Australian Shepherd has out grown his Vari-kennel and I'm looking for a good solid Pet barrier to use in my 2005 Double Cab Tacoma. I can't fit a regular say mid-west wire kennel in the back area with the seats folded down. If anyone has been able to find a LARGE wire crate that would fit into that space I'd love to get that information as well.

thanks in advance
Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put one of these potable pet homes in the back seat for my 75 lb lab. he can move around and it wont scratch anything etc. Its light and actually will conform to the space its in a little. It folds down also. I dont even zip it and the flap still keeps him from nosing the windows.

I also put covercraft seat protectors on but that was for child spills etc.

Fast forward and now that I have a set of twins, I put a Snug top Xtra Vision on the bed and now the dogs live in that. The kids and their car seats go in the rear seat.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=11264

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll check it out

Thanks I'll check them out. I'm still looking for the barrier type system as well that will work properly in the Taco.
thanks
Rick

·
Registered
309 Posts
I made a PVC cage (based on the metal ones the pig hunters use to transport their dogs) for the bed of my truck. Perhaps you could make up something out of PVC for the back seat of your truck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
koa said:
I made a PVC cage (based on the metal ones the pig hunters use to transport their dogs) for the bed of my truck. Perhaps you could make up something out of PVC for the back seat of your truck.

judging on your picture with all those trees in background...it looks like you caught a wild dog...(lab???)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was going to have one welded up out of aluminum and this was the prototype to figure out the exact size since I needed to haul boxes and might not want to take it off each time. The PVC is actually pretty solid for the dogs. I don't know how it would survive a bad crash. The tailgate is the door for the dogs access. On my old truck the Lab would jump in and claw the roof to look over the cab and destroy the interior each time bouncing around. No drool, no scratches!

guzziguy,
I was thinking you could build something out of PVC that slid into the back seat area to contain your dog, not in the bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh! thanks!

Koa,

I never thought of that in the back seat. I also thought about having one made at a welding shop. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Inspired by Koa's PVC kennel, my brother and I made our own version. It took the better part of a day about $100 in material but we got it done. I put my dogs in and they were right at home. Now he can use it to transport his dogs around town without having them inside his new truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey! I am wanting to make this, go any tips or steps I can follow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts