Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just about had it with my trannie (A540 - V6Camry), actually I think it's had enough of me. It's starting to slip in reverse, heavy vibration..Anyways;

Has anyone here dealt with the above company? They are offering remanufactures with a 12 month warranty for $825, $350 core deposit and $130 shipping. $1305 total. :(

I am also wondering about how much to yank and replace a tran will cost. I do not have the means to do it myself. Any rough estimates 'cause I have to raise the cash.

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Amerikim, what did you find out on the A540 Phoenix Reman. Tranny? I've noticed a few on Ebay, and my tranny's slipping and thinking about one of those remans.

Paul

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Id say less than $300 if you go to a shop specializing in transmission work, avoid mr transmission they suck. Its actually pretty simple to remove a transmission if you have a lift and a transmission jack hence the transmission shop ;)

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phoenix is also on ebay. I have read some bad press on them after I bought mine. There are also some good testimonials but nowaday who knows whats real?
Well, I bought one from them and got it installed.
Lots of stuff needs to come out so you need either a well equipped shop or a professional to install it for you. I could have done my homework a little better because I did approach local shops and they all agreed to match the price..etc,etc. Would have saved on shipping. All in all the guys at Phoenix seemed pretty knowledgeable and got the order right first time.
I had some issues but I think my installer had something to do with it. Nothing really bad but I just think they could have done a better job. I also bought a trannie cooler and had that put on at the same time. I used one from Ford Motors Racing. If you get a cooler make sure it's stacked plate and not tubular.
It was delivered to the shop on a pallet. It looked cool and seemed decent. It came with prearranged core return shipping. So when the shop was done, shop drained and put the old tran on the pallet and called the shipping company to pick it up. I had to call Phoenix to get my core deposit back, would have more professional if they just sent it.
Anyways, its been over a year and I have put about 20K miles on it and its holding up. There is some leaking from the pan but it looks gasket related. The fluid looks good and it seems okay. Just not as quick as new car trannies. i will be flushing soon so will get the gasket replaced. I will be using a different shop then the guys who replaced it.
I am just so happy to be rid of the violent 1st to second shifts, took years off the car.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Amerikim,

We really appreciate the update. This forum would be even more awesome than it already is if everyone who reported a problem came back at some later date and reported how the problem was eventually resolved (or not).

Just my two-bits!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts