Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photos of new custom floor mats & custom dash for 2005 Limited. REVISED

I’ve just received these floor mats. When the mfr said they were custom made, it was true. Contrary to claims I’ve seen on other web sites.

When I installed them, the only think I could say is wow. They fit tight. A perfect fit! I will admit the fit was better than I had hoped in terms of coverage

These are Weathertech Floorlines. They’re not as heavy and soft as I thought they would be, like many aftermarket rubber mats. But I’m pleased with the purchase. Price $154 which included shipping. I know, it’s a lot. But I could not ask for better protection from my boys in the back seat. In consideration of the seasons we have here in the Midwest. I will pay dividend for dad’s peace of mind and family harmony.

For some reason I though photos could be posted on this thread, apparently not.
So, I 've posted photos on the "Photo Gallery" page on this web site for 3rd Gen Avalons. Take a look.

·
2005 Avalon Ltd
2005 Avalon Ltd
213 Posts
Those mats are the first thing I bought for my car and I really love them. The fit perfectly and are easy to keep clean. The high sides keep all the winter gunk from soiling the carpets. I had to remove the little carpet clip that keeps the OE mats from sliding around, but these mats stay in place all by themselves. Warning: They are expensive. I also bought the trunk mat which only comes in black --- Perfect!
- Peter :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, I'd like to thank Fake_USA for loading my photos to this page. Not sure how you did it, but thank you, thank you!! :clap:

Manymods, I have to agree, the mats are pricey. I justsified it by ordering them early, when I purchased the car. So they will pay for themself throughout the lifetime of the car.

I'm not shure why you had to remove the carpet clips. The mats clip holes where in the exact spot. But with the exacting fit, I agree, they will not be slipping around.

·
2005 Avalon Ltd
2005 Avalon Ltd
213 Posts
I'm not shure why you had to remove the carpet clips. The mats clip holes where in the exact spot. But with the exacting fit, I agree, they will not be slipping around.
Hi! I removed the clips because I am accustomed to simply lifting the mats out of the car and brushing them off. I find when I have them engaged by the clips it becomes a nuisance. I have the same style mats in my 4Runnner and I did the same thing there. Actually, I have the Husky version in the 4R, and I think the WeatherTech mats are far superior in every way --- including the price so dear. :rolleyes:

I am not sure how far you are going with your car but I just finished installing the Sherwood dash in my car and it is stunning. I only used half the kit, foregoing the portion that goes on the upper dash. I only did the console up to and including the NAV control door, but it looks great and the pieces fit really well. I wish I could figure out how to upload photos (I will eventually) because I would like to share it with others. The '05 lighter color wood veneer really sets off the interior --- very Lexus. :)

- Peter

·
2005 Avalon Ltd
2005 Avalon Ltd
213 Posts
I know this is off topic so forgive me but I think I figured out how to get a photo of the dash uploaded.

:clap: - Peter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manymods. Outstanding! I went online to find photos of what you were talking about. I will confess, your Sherwood dash is more attractive than what appears online.

I would speculate you have the same color interior as I. My photos show what appears to be a light silver interior. This is far from the truth. It's actually a light tan, which I so love. Is yours tan as well?

The color you choose of the Sherwood product appears to be an exact match with the shift lever. Did you also change the shift color to achieve the match? Or is it the stock lever?

·
2005 Avalon Ltd
2005 Avalon Ltd
213 Posts
SHERWOOD DASH Redux

Thank you, I agree. My wife did not want me putting the dash in because I never leave anything alone and I can really get carried away with my cars. E.G.: as soon as I bought my '02 4Runner I put over $10K into modifications, but now I cannot part with it because it is ME!

My interior is the #02 Ivory (tan) and my exterior is the #04Q2 Desert Sand Mica. I love the combo although silver is a favorite of mine (color of my 4R). The OE wood trim is the light burl and the kit is a spot-on direct match. What you want for the light color is the #1796-DE-05 kit. It has 20 pieces in it but I only used 8 pieces. I have installed a number of these kits, so if you are not experienced at it you might want to let a professional do it or call me when you are ready and I can review some of the subtleties of the procedure.

The mfg is Canadian and they do not sell direct, so you have to select a dealer you feel comfortable with. The mfg recommended Protrim, and I did purchase the kit from them but they are more expensive than others so I cannot say I would do it again. LGT Automotive is another company,but there are many others. One cautionary I will offer is the mfg is does a very poor job of packaging the kit, so all the parts get jostled around and can get damaged. If you have a damaged part(s), call the vendor and request a replacement part. You will get it. I had three damaged parts. I also contacted the mfg and told them (gave them hell) how disappointed I was in their carelessness. In the past they have been much more responsible.

The shift lever is part of the 'Limited' trim.
- Peter

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was thinking about buying a dash center console kit like that because the painted cupholder cover and other plastic parts scratch so easy.

Looks good.

FYI: audio454 if you look in the gallery at the bottom of the picture you'll see something that say UBB Code, highlight it then just copy and paste that into your post and it will embed the picture.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Manymods, can you please post a close up (macro shot) of the piece around the heated seat controls.

btw, i think you made the right choice by not applying the rest of the kit on the radio cover and around the hvac controls, it looks much cleaner the way you did it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Manymods. Looking good! How difficult is it to open the cut holer? You must press down fully to open mine.

·
2005 Avalon Ltd
2005 Avalon Ltd
213 Posts
Manymods. Looking good! How difficult is it to open the cut holer? You must press down fully to open mine.
One reason why you see a sliver of bright metal on the side of the lid is in order to give clearance when the lid pops open. The answer to your question is there is no problem with any of the lids opening. I am going to do some more finish work to make the console look even better than it does now, but as someone who is very fussy, I am perfectly happy with the way it looks. I get more upset with the way some of the OE dash pieces fit, but I intend to take the dash out when the weather warms up so I can make those fit adjustments. I will also be hardwiring my V1 with remote at that time.

- Peter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, taking out your dash is no small thing! That's more advanced that I would be willing to partake.

I understand the clearance issue on the left hand side of the cup holder. I was referring to the button you push to open your lid. But now that I better understand your talents, I sure it opens just fine. I don't think you would settle for less.

·
Registered
74 Posts
that's a perfect picture, exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot.

I was hoping the shift pattern was printed on the wood under the clear instead of a cut out. I was on their site today checking out the kits and they advertised that they do the "Factory Symbol Printing" too. hmmm...

http://www.sherwooddash.com/FeaturesAndBenefits/factorysymbol.asp

either way it still looks damn nice.

thanks again

·
2005 Avalon Ltd
2005 Avalon Ltd
213 Posts
Making it better?

We can always find reasons to criticize these aftermarket kits, or ways they could be improved. The truth is the only way 'aftermarket' could look better is if it was factory original. Given the way Sherwood treated the other details like, shift lock over ride, the heat/cool seat control pilot lights and the chrome accents for the flip-up doors, this looks very good. I have already blacked out the edges around some of the pieces to tone down the bright metal underneath, and I am thinking about how and if I want to treat the larger bright clearance strips like the side of the cup holder door and NAV control door.

I love doing this kind of stuff and I am good at precision work, although I know guys who make me look like a hack. I try to keep anything I do as factory looking as possible. I am also good at electrical wiring and do not let anyone else --- like stereo shops touch my wiring.

Toyota's generally follow a simple logical pattern for removal of interior trim and as long as you know where the fastener points are and what kind of fasteners are holding on the trim pieces, it is easy although sometimes tedious. The differences I am recognizing in the new Gen3 Avalon's is the multiple layers one has to drill down through to get to the source of what you want to reveal. The older Avalon's, 4Runners and Corolla's are a lot easier to manipulate.

I think there should be some way to edit the name of this thread to indicate the transition from floor mats to dash kits. I am sure many other forum members would be interested in our conversation.

- Peter

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone purchased the OE mats that have the Avalon name on them? Just wondering how they compare in quality to the Weathertech mats and amount of floor area coverage they provide.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts