Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really into lights. I have a 96 Avalon and I should be receiving my bumper turn signal clear corner lenses tomorrow. Going to see what it looks like with the stock white bulb with the clear lenses, and then possibly upgrade to the PIAA Extreme White LEDs (for turn signals, corner lights, and license plate).

Anyone use the PIAA Extreme LEDs??

Also, I was looking at the PIAA Deno3 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7919706326&category=33713
What do you think of that? Good light output? Too bright? Anything else.

Thanks!

·
Banned
245 Posts
Trust me.. LED's do NOT work in cars.. It would have to be rated at several watts to work.. there is one LED out.. I completely forget the name of it now but they are 5W LED's.. big ass things.. they work, but are not cheap. Put out way enough light tho.. They setup several of them together and they were used as headlights...

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if they fit the 194/168 socket? They appear that they should work fine. Have you personally tried them? They look like they would be bright as shit.

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
if you wanna know about 194 leds... i use some, run a search in the camry forum and see, there was a huge "tado" over LEDS

·
TN's SRT-4
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
379 Posts
Punisher said:
Trust me.. LED's do NOT work in cars.. It would have to be rated at several watts to work..
Trust me. LED's do work in cars. :D I have one one watt LED in one corner lamp and an amber 168/194 in the other. Which is which?

As you can see, LED's do work and they do not have to be rated at several watts to work. The LED I used is a one watt side emitting amber Luxeon. This LED puts out about the same amount of light as a stock 168/194 bulb.

Punisher said:
I completely forget the name of it now but they are 5W LED's.. big ass things.. they work, but are not cheap. Put out way enough light tho..
They are not all 5W. There are a couple versions of the Luxeon LED including the one watt, Luxeon III (sometimes called the 3W), and the 5W. The 5W will be way too powerful to replace a 168/194 bulb. Yes, they are not cheap (~$30 each). They are not big at all unless you call this smilie :D big. Luxeon LEDs are just slightly over a quarter inch in height and in diameter, not including the leads. You can get it with a factory heatsink and in this case, the LED will come mounted right in the middle a heatsink about the size of a nickle.

I do agree about what everyone has been saying about those 168/194 LED bulbs. They are not bright enough (4-8 lumens compared to 37 lumens of a stock 168/194) and the light from those LEDs only shoot straight out through the dome of the LED. No light will be coming from the side of those LEDs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts