Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wheelin' Away
Tacoma & Harley
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd say hi to everyone and post a pic of my truck. Bought it back in the spring time and have absolutely no buyers remorse to date. Just recently found this forum and I have found it to be real useful. Hope to contribute as well!

·
Wheelin' Away
Tacoma & Harley
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are BFG All Terrains 265/75R16. Just had them put on last week. Had them before on other vehicles and I am real happy with them. My wish list for the truck is long and I'll be doing mods as time and money permits. My other passion is my motorcycle and between the two I have to be careful with the loose change in my pocket. Next up is a 2 - 3 inch lift and 16x8 wheels.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
very nice!! pretty much just like mine except i'm still on stock wheels and i don't have the bar or bug deflector. :)

-Mike

·
Wheelin' Away
Tacoma & Harley
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NESW20 said:
very nice!! pretty much just like mine except i'm still on stock wheels and i don't have the bar or bug deflector. :)

-Mike
Thanks Mike, I think the bull bar gives the truck a little attitude. Only thing I didn't like is that I had to loose my front tow hooks to install it. Now that would have been some real useful info to have before I ordered it. But hey, the price was right and it's chromed stainless. Can't beat that.

·
Jackofallmasterofnone
100 Posts
What brand of bull bar is that? I have been looking at a westin but they are kinda pricey. Seen some others but not really sure the quality is as good as Westins. How do you like it other than losing the tow hooks. Plus what about the front plate?

Speedy Blue

·
Wheelin' Away
Tacoma & Harley
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a westin bull bar on my truck. I bought it on ebay and paid a little over $300 shipped. I thought the price was good. Like I said its stainless. Never worry about rust. The chrome finish is perfect. I love it. The install was easy and the directions straight forward. Took me maybe 1/2 hour to bolt on. There's no drilling involved. The front plate was already mounted to the bar. The bar is also pre-drilled for aux. lighting so adding a set of driving or fog lights is pretty simple as well. Just pop out the black plugs and bolt on (have to wire of course). I'll be adding lights soon myself. I'd recommend the bar for anyone other then a serious off-roader. There are many better options for off-roading that incl. winch mounts, tow hooks, etc.

Speedway blue said:
What brand of bull bar is that? I have been looking at a westin but they are kinda pricey. Seen some others but not really sure the quality is as good as Westins. How do you like it other than losing the tow hooks. Plus what about the front plate?

Speedy Blue

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,560 Posts
HOG can i see more pics of the bull bar? Like its mounting points and a side View if you can. Thanks :thumbup:

your truck is nice

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
HOG said:
Thanks Mike, I think the bull bar gives the truck a little attitude. Only thing I didn't like is that I had to loose my front tow hooks to install it. Now that would have been some real useful info to have before I ordered it. But hey, the price was right and it's chromed stainless. Can't beat that.
You don't have to take off the tow hooks. I'm not sure why the instructions say to do so, but I didn't remove 'em and didn't have a problem at all.

On each side you just remove two of the bumper mount nuts and then put the westin bracket on there, plus a small spacer on the bottom, then tighten it all back down. Then the bull bar bolts to that bracket.

If you want to make the install a little easier, remove the top grille and you can get to the bumper mounts from above.

Got my black Westin Bull bar for $230 on ebay.

Check my CarDomain to see pics of the Westin Bull Bar with PIAA lights.

·
Wheelin' Away
Tacoma & Harley
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm...I'm going to have to check that out. I'm not real big on instructions and don't usually use them. But I did loose the tow hooks as per the instructions. Your truck looks real nice by the way. I really like the black bull bar and tube steps on the black truck :clap:

Pb2theMax said:
You don't have to take off the tow hooks. I'm not sure why the instructions say to do so, but I didn't remove 'em and didn't have a problem at all.

On each side you just remove two of the bumper mount nuts and then put the westin bracket on there, plus a small spacer on the bottom, then tighten it all back down. Then the bull bar bolts to that bracket.

If you want to make the install a little easier, remove the top grille and you can get to the bumper mounts from above.

Got my black Westin Bull bar for $230 on ebay.

Check my CarDomain to see pics of the Westin Bull Bar with PIAA lights.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
HOG said:
Hmmm...I'm going to have to check that out. I'm not real big on instructions and don't usually use them. But I did loose the tow hooks as per the instructions. Your truck looks real nice by the way. I really like the black bull bar and tube steps on the black truck :clap:
Always read the instructions. :preach: ....except for the part about the tow hooks. The only reason I can think of that they say to remove the tow hooks is so that you won't tear up the bull bar with the tow chain, when you have to use it. :whatthe:

Make sure that you don't have any parts left over. If you have two big washers left over then that means you did it wrong. There is an extra set of thick of washers that go on the bottom bolt of each mount. If you don't use the spacers then you will slightly bend the brackets when you tighten the bottom bolts. The picture in the instructions shows where the washers go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.