Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up myself a 95 DX w/ sunroof auto fairly cheap.

Has a few normal problems.. Bought all new door handles inside and out.
Has the darn vibration @ idle so I gotta hunt that down..

Temp gauge is pegged in the HOT zone and the fans run all the time. I unplugged the temp sensor for the ecu and the car shut off. Gauge still the same of course. Plugged back in and unplugged the Gauge sensor and its still pegged. So gotta figure out why thats acting silly...

Flushed all the fluids. needs a valve cover gasket, tune up, and of course timing belt...

So far not a bad car although my 91 camry LE V6 loaded is much nicer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just to recap: flushed all fluids, including Radiator (fill with Toyota RED Coolant), transmission, engine oil, power steering?

Valve cover gasket is easy to do, get new spark plugs while you're at it (NGK Iridiums work fine).

There might be a malfunction with the Temp gauge. Just remember, there are two temperatures gauges: One on the passenger side next to the water pump that has a single-wire connector: this is the temp sending unit for your instrument cluster. From what I've seen, the sensors from AutoZone do not work, as they are not calibrated properly and go all the way to the red zone.

The other temperature gauge, I think has 2 connectors--if this is malfunctioning, the ECU maybe getting the wrong signal and keeping those fans all the time. Probably go with this first.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snigma, Thank you!

I've already done the fluid flushes. I stuck with the green since thats what came in it originally.

Changed out the spark plugs w/ regular denso's since I got them for free.

I came across 3 temp sensors. The one on the housing on the back is for the ecu and the one on the air filter side is for the fans then the 3rd one is on the passenger fire wall side for the gauge. I already ordered a new Yota one for $19.

Ordered all new motors mounts to eliminate vibrations completly although its just the top passenger one. Along with some new door handles..

Now there is something else I am looking for and that would be the trim around the radio.. Someone installed yota wood grain which is now sun dried and looks like garbage.. Just wondering if anyone has a spare trim piece lying around and also does the a/c temp selectors light up? The only thing that lights up is the a/c button itself (green light)..

theres more questions and as soon as I think about them I'll ask...

Snigma thanks agian :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
What's the miles?
Green's fine, denso's fine. Might need new wires though. They need to be replaced every so often. What about the thermostat? Was the liquid clean and green? Did you flush through the thermostat housing or just drain and fill?

Ordered all new motors mounts to eliminate vibrations completly although its just the top passenger one.
smart:Bruce:
When you say "Ordered all new motors mounts " did you mean you bought aftermarket or dealer? Because, I think the passenger one is a dealer only item. Also, please help some of us here by taking photos of the rear replacement. I am still waiting for someone to explain the proper way it's done and not just what works before I tackle it.

Also I think there is one or two tranny mounts as well. You might want to check on that if you are going the whole route.

Other things that could be bad, nearing failure or ready for replacement on this vehicle:
water pump, 4 struts, 2 front strut bearings, brakes, air filter, battery, cap and rotor, vsv, egr modulator, cam and crank seals, ps fluid flush, brake fluid flush, o2 sensor/s, fuel filter, three belts.

About the trim:
I bought ebay rosewood trim about 7 years ago when I got this car. It is still as beuatiful as when I installed it. I think $40.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

O yea I was just doing a minor tune up to get it by. I'm throwing money at my 91 camry LE and my Supra. I've been around the Yota world a good while and just recently sold the Best truck I've ever owned with 120k on it for 10k. 04 tundra! Also use to be a yota tech myself.

The car is nice and tight, I've already had it on the rack and checked everything. Mounts were first on my list. Driver side strut has a squeek to it so that w/ bearing will get replaced actually both front will.

timing belt is needing to be done I checked it already and still seems to be intact but this also isnt my DD so I'll get to it eventually. But so far I've been driving it for the weekend to see what other problems could show up and nothing besides vibration has shown up. Once its all fixed it'll be like a new car agian.
Sad thing it this car sat for almost 2 years before being driven agian.
The temp gauge was pegged due to the switch being bad so she was afraid to drive it. Bought a new car and I picked up the car cheap... It has new tires, battery, belts, plugs, coolant, oil, power steering, trans, and a few more things on the way!

Thanks for the good lookin out guys!

When I get to the mounts i'll get some pics up. I hate that we wouldn't be able to sticky it... I did a few write ups in the camry section that aren't stickied... :(

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
1,121 Posts
I just replaced my passenger side motor mount yesterday....omg was it a bitch with the ac line going over it, but wow feels like I bought a new car. So solid and smooth..sigh. Wish I had done this a year ago lol.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea?

Won't be no big deal if anything Ill just vacuum down and move the line out of the way. I should be able to get to it anyhow without taking it off..

Can't wait to get mine done just awaiting parts to come in tomorrow.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The passenger's is really expensive (i recall $185 us) for my car and it has some extra rubber dampeners included. I don't know if this one in your url is it. The front and back are correct though. The driver's is missing.

oh and the passenger's ac problem is not a big deal. Just move down to where the line attaches to the frame up near your wiper fluid and disconect the line from the frame. DO NOT OPEN THE AC LINE! or you will be sorry.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice!

I have all the tools I need I work w/ nissan as a tech so I have the proper equipment to vacuum down the a/c system!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts