Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Toyota Pickup
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a southern bed for my 1989 4 cyl 4x4 Extended-Cab 5spd Toyota Pickup and I'm in the process of taking the old bed off. I've never done this and I've got a few questions.

How do I disconnect the lights and the gas neck? Anybody have a diagram or can you explain to a mechanically challenged person how to do this step by step?

Also, the old bed was so rusted that I could punch through the rocker guard and rusted metal to access the bolts and cut them off. However, I don't see how I could have accessed those bolts without doing so. When I'm putting the new bed on, should the bolts fit into the bed's crossmember and the frame's body mount easily?

Thanks

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Everything should mount easily. Its all very straight forward. There are 3 or 4 bolts that hold the filler neck. 4 bolts for each taillight, and then just route the wiring.

The mounting process should be easy. 2 guys can easily move it around..

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
remove all bolts holding bed to frame, remove clips holding wiring to the bed, unplug the lights, remove the lights, lay the wiring to the ground. Remove bolts from filler neck.

Everything Jay said, you should lift bed up from 1 wheel well, your friend/ assistant on the other side. Lift STRAIGHT up and then move bed backwards.

the moving straight up and out is the kicker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts