Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a problem with my truck and I am at my wits end with it. Ill list what I have and what Ive done, any help would be great.
91' Toyota Pickup Hilux
6 Cyl, 2 wheel dr, Auto

The problem is after I drive some where, and turn the truck off, when I come back, it doesnt start, I turn t he key, and hear a click from the starter and a high pitch whinning sound. Some times on rare occasions if I keep turning the key over and over it will start. Its a real pain because I cant go anywhere and not expect to be there anywhere from 2 to 6 hours. It will start if I get a jump. Which makes me think it could be a issue of the starter not getting enough power. Now here is a list of what I have changed and done to try to fix the problem.
Changed the starter (multiple times)
New battery
New spark plugs and wires
New distributor cap
Ground wires

Please please please if you have any suggestions let me know. I dont have thousands to pour into it but I need to get this fixed. Its been going on for over 4 years now. So any help, please, let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Have you checked the starter contacts yet? Could also be grounding problem? Not sure about the latter, but hope it helps you some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the contacts be a part of the new starter? May be a stupid question but I dont know. Cause if so, how do I change them? And yes, I do belivce the ground is good. But is there anyway to double check?

·
TN's SRT-4
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
379 Posts
When my truck had that problem, it turned out to be my starter contacts. They were almost completly gone when I opened up the starter. Here is a page on the starter contact replacement procedure.

I did notice that you said that you have replaced your starter several times so I don't know if the starter contacts may be the problem. Were the new starters OEM or aftermarket? From what I have been told, never go with aftermarket starters nor alternators because they usually do not last as long as OEM units.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Yes, the contacts are part of the starter. So as mentioned in 1st post, he has changed them multiple times.
Is the whine you are hearing coming from the starter? If so, the starter is working but not engaging with the flywheel.
If it is not coming from the starter, try to pinpoint the noise and repost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '93 w/417k miles does this every once in a while. Mostly when the weather changes and it's damp or humid. The wiring connections corrode up. Toyota's have a tendency to have the electrical connections corrode up. My Landcruiser does it too.

You need to clean the starter connections. Check all the battery connections, too and the ground to the car.

I have found that the corrosion works it’s was up the wires, under the casings. You may need to replace the wires (or at least cut off the ends back behind the corrosion and reattach the connectors.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replys guys. The winning is coming from the starter. The starter in there now is OEM from Toyota dealership, it, like the others, only lasted 1 week before it started doing this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the starter is bad, it should be covered under warranty. Suggest you find a local rewind shop and have them rebuild the starter for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But all 4 to 6 starters I have put in there have dont this same thing, they work perfect for a week, then they start doing this. The one I hvae in there now lasted 1 week, it was Brand New from Toyota.

like I said, Im really beginning to hate this truck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know the feeling. I'm fighting a water leakage on mine and can't find where it is going.

Could you have a bad spot on the flywheel? If you do, the starter may not be able to engage properly. Otherwise, go back to the wires and check for corrosion.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Have you checked your alternator output? Maybe it's not charging the battery enough. Will all of the starters work ok with a jump? With no jumper cables, put a volt meter on the + terminal of the starter and ground and have someone try to start it. See what the voltage reading is. If it drops way down, try it again reading at the battery. If that drops way down, check the charging system. If the battery holds pretty stable, check the wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try replacing the ignition switch (just the switch, not the lock cylinder, etc.) I had the same problem on my 91 F-150, and I spent hundreds replacing the starter, alternator, battery, misc. wiring, etc., and it all came down to a $15 ignition switch. I feel your pain. In the meantime, you should be able to start your truck by jumping the starter solenoid.

·
Give me somethin to break
05 tundra doublecab
251 Posts
jumper boxes are pretty cheap these days,id advise carrying one for a backup,but still try to fix your problem.most factory battery connections rely one one pinner wire from the battery ground to the inner fender.i reccomend first making sure the contact points are clean (sandpaper)and adding another wire from this to engine block.hope this helps...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you replaced the lead wire from the battery to the starter? sounds like everything else has been cover by you or other's suggestions here...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after playing with the ignition switch, (wasent able to change it out due to security bolts) it worked fine for a week, since then its been on and off. When I took the tumbler out I found a wad of metal shavings. So since I have seen a nice improvment from just playing with the switch, Im gonna get it changed out and see how it does.

·
Registered
1991 pickup 4wd
65 Posts
i had something similiar happend in my 91 pick up v6 it wouldnt start and i would hear a clickin noise behind the glove boxi took the glove box out i had something rubbing against something and it started ...right around where the speaker is on the right front next to the glove box behind it.. if its clickin in that area..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the engine turn over, but just not start?

I am battling a similar problem now with my 93 V6. It leaves me stranded because it randomly doesn't not start. I can't trust it. I just replaced the ignition switch last night and am waiting to see if that fixed it. To replace the ignition switch I had to drop the steering column (wasn't very hard). My truck turns over without a problem, but just doesn't start sometimes. At times it will run fine for up to a week before repeating the starting problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts