Toyota Nation Forum banner

Pics of my best mod yet!!! DIY added on page 2

114702 Views 294 Replies 81 Participants Last post by  WesK711
Steering wheel LED swap... Radio swap on page 6!!

So I got my LED's in the mail and completed my small project in about an hour... enjoy...

It's a lot bluer than the pics,

I took enough pics for a DIY if you guys want me to... and I have plenty of LEDs if ppl want them... bought a 50 pack, but you only need 5 if you have an SE with bluetooth, don't know about LE/XLE's

I'll get night shots when it gets dark :)
201 - 220 of 295 Posts

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
im gonna go up there n take it off u when u r done. oh yeah let me know when its done
I should be done tonight. I plan on going out to pick up a few more supplies I need to complete the mod (quick braid, 5mm LED, and a new solder tip)
The switch in the picture is an extra one I picked up on E-bay =)

that's a nice cherry wood table you got there! net you have done all the leds hehehe... can you say your car is running smoother because it requires less power to turn on the lights? i heard leds are only 20% power consumption vs your conventional bulbs.
Hahaha... definitely not the table I'll be working the soldering on... I wouldn't say smoother... we're just replace existing LED's... and the bulbs that are switched to LED's are only used occasionally at night...

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
that's a nice cherry wood table you got there! net you have done all the leds hehehe... can you say your car is running smoother because it requires less power to turn on the lights? i heard leds are only 20% power consumption vs your conventional bulbs.
LEDs would have no affect on performance of car but the LEDs do require less power.

With conventional bulbs, if you left your lights on by accident, your car would be dead within a day or so. With LEDs, you can have it on for 2 days and car will still start.

I seriously need to have someone do these steering wheels and window switch for me. Net, i'm driving down to MD! I'm serious. Its like what..3-4 hour drive from NY? i'll buy you beer..but you can drink that after you finish. Dont want you soldering it wrong or burning yourself when you're intoxicated ;)

· Joined the dark side. :D
21,501 Posts
LEDs would have no affect on performance

i'll buy you beer..but you can drink that after you finish. Dont want you soldering it wrong or burning yourself when you're intoxicated ;)
Are all the LED 'blinks'??? Most car with LED seem to be blinking and it's a bit annoying to me seeing them on the road. I don't see it blink when I look at it but when I turn away or turn in general and that's when I see it blinks. It's not a smooth "ON".

:lol: @ the beer "after you finish".

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
^ They seem to pulse/blinks.

OMG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6sZg3iL5EY :rofl:
I still have no idea what you're talking about. Are you talking about interior or exterior?

The LEDs us normal people have only replace our stock bulbs. No flickering or pulsing. They work like a normal light. same goes for turn signals. Some cars come stock with LED turn signals.

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Tail lights do not flicker and should not. They should work like any other non-LED tail light. If its like your video, its illegal. Brake lights do no blink or flicker unless its a turn signal.
I know exactly what he's talking about and it's discussed in HIDplanet. I think it's the frequency of the light that's emitted by the LED. Newer cars have it fixed. It's mainly the Cadillacs with LED tails that I have noticed. If you stare at the tail lights and move your eyes, there's a 'lag' and you see the LED trail to the new location relative to your eye.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
I know exactly what he's talking about and it's discussed in HIDplanet. I think it's the frequency of the light that's emitted by the LED. Newer cars have it fixed. It's mainly the Cadillacs with LED tails that I have noticed. If you stare at the tail lights and move your eyes, there's a 'lag' and you see the LED trail to the new location relative to your eye.
I'll have to take a look at the Cadillacs when i see one on the road. So how about my proposal!? I'm down for a road trip. LOL

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
What you'll need

5mm LED (color of your choice)
Quick Braid
Soldering Iron
Solder
Philips Screwdriver

Picture of the switch

1) Pull the top window lock off.

2) In the back, there are 3 screws. Unscrew them.

3) Circuit board is connected to the white backing. Pull them apart. No tools needed.

4) Pic of the layout.

5) Close up pic of the LED

6) Behind the LED. Solder spots are next to the 'UP' label.

7) Now the fun stuff. Get the Quick Braid and place it on the soldered area. Apply the solder iron to soak up the solder.

8) How it should look afterwards

9) The longer lead of the LED should be on the left side when looking down on the switch. Solder the new LED on.

10) Test it to make sure the LED works

11) Put everything together in reverse order and enjoy =)

Also make sure all the switches work before putting it back together...

Okay, so I cheated.... I had alot of white 5mm LEDs lying around and didn't want to spend money on blue LEDs so I soldered on the white LED and put blue vinyl over the backside if the switch to make it blue... The pic looks white, but it is actually blue.

Enjoy the mod =)

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
alright... this deserved it's own post... do you guys notice the difference?

Could you guys check your cars and tell me which switch you have? post your car year and model...

The one on the left was mine... 2007 SE... One on the right is the spare I picked up...
Altho the one on the right is easier to tell the keys... I like the left design better, but it was my gripe... always took as second to see which button was unlock and which was lock... It'll be much easier to tell now...

Thanks in advance for your help, guys =)

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
alright... this deserved it's own post... do you guys notice the difference?

Could you guys check your cars and tell me which switch you have? post your car year and model...

The one on the left was mine... 2007 SE... One on the right is the spare I picked up...
Altho the one on the right is easier to tell the keys... I like the left design better, but it was my gripe... always took as second to see which button was unlock and which was lock... It'll be much easier to tell now...

Thanks in advance for your help, guys =)
Merged the post for easier linking.

I have the one on the right. 09 SE V6

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
two 09 xles here and have one on right. my 07 gray had one on left. i think 08 is one on right.

· The Toyota Guru
2013 BMW 328i xDrive
431 Posts
The one on the right reminds me of the Corolla Pwr Door Lock Button [09-Newer]

Good job with the "blue" AUTO Switch

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
i think switch on left was only used on 07s along with the light color wood(xle). the 08s and 09s use the dark color and the switch on right. ie the switch on left is more rare.

201 - 220 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.