Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 295 Posts

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
7) Pull the black cover to expose the electronics board. Unscrew one more screw and pull out the electronics board.

You can see the ugly green LEDs

New LEDs... all 50 of them... hahaha

Size of LED compared to a penny

8) I was stumped on how I was going to pull out the LED... If you get a knife an stick it in between the Led and push, the LED will pop right out.

It'll keep the prongs that fit snuggly with the grooves on the new LED's shown above with the penny

9) Solder the new LED's and use reverse steps to put everything back together

· Registered
1,543 Posts
nice job! just a suggestion for removing the old leds though... if you can heat both sides/solder pads quickly, you can "flick" off the led with the soldering iron. removing it by popping it off runs the risk of removing the solder pad completely... not easy to fix! i can understand leaving the solder in the original shape to help keep the new leds in place, but its not a good idea. as an alternative, you can put a dab of glue to glue it in place, then solder it. or if you're dexterous enough, leave one pad with solder on it, then use tweezers to place the led while you heat up that pad with the soldering iron.

· Registered
Camry
10,019 Posts
The way you removed the LED is not ideal because it could potentially take the traces with it. At work, we use heated tweezers, but you could also use desoldering wick or heat and lift method.

Most people won't have those tweezers since they are only used for by people who do a lot of SM work and they came with our soldering stations which cost well over $3000.

Otherwise great DIY. Too bad mine don't work any more.

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
thanks for the words of advice guys... hahaha, you can probably guess that it was my first time at soldering, which it was, and I guess i'm lucky that the solder pads did not pop off for all 5 of the LED's... I think I did pretty good for a first timer working with LED's the size of bread crumb

I'll keep the soldering tip in mind when I attack the stereo and HVAC controls

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The way you removed the LED is not ideal because it could potentially take the traces with it. At work, we use heated tweezers, but you could also use desoldering wick or heat and lift method.

Most people won't have those tweezers since they are only used for by people who do a lot of SM work and they came with our soldering stations which cost well over $3000.

Otherwise great DIY. Too bad mine don't work any more.
Your controls don't light up? why?

· Registered
325 Posts
you son of a gun,

that looks great
wanna throw em in for me when you ship me the tails ? ? :)
i will throw in som money when i ship the tails back to yah :)

looks great tho, i reall yneed to do my shifter sometime as well.
you have a DIY for that as well ?
use the same leds? or something else ?

· Certified Member
218 Posts
very nice write up, netforcer. you are a great contributer to our Gen 6's! keep it up :p. a lot of my interior mods are strictly from ur works and i enjoy them. ha but before i do this mod. i'll wait for you to attack the sterio and HVAC. ATTACk it soon! and the dash haha.

once again, great write up.

· =]
nasa space shuttle
4,703 Posts
Nice write up, doesnt seem too hard but you know what you should do next, get the HVAC controls blue too. That would look amazing. :clap: Too bad i stopped doing these easy mod's to the camry, time to move on to the accord :thumbup:

I meant the buttons don't do anything, I don't remember if they light up or not. I swapped the factory HU for a Pioneer HU.
Hey just wondering if you have a pic of your deck in your cam?

· Registered
mtlc gry 07 SE
468 Posts
Great write up! Couple of questions, though. Where are these screws you mentioned on the first 2-3 steps located? Is there an exact way of pulling the steering wheel? Finally, you never gave us the info on those LEDs :naughty:

Oh and did I mention, great job!

· Registered
107 Posts
Doesnt look too hard, another thing to do on my list :D
THanks alot buddy, great JOB!!!!!
BTW, i was driving tonight when i reached out to adjust my side mirror, and i couldnt see jack!!!! I never notice that the mirror adjust buttons doesnt have led in it! Maybe you can mod them in ? :D

· Registered
1,543 Posts
21 - 40 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.