Toyota Nation Forum banner

Pics of my best mod yet!!! DIY added on page 2

114700 Views 294 Replies 81 Participants Last post by  WesK711
Steering wheel LED swap... Radio swap on page 6!!

So I got my LED's in the mail and completed my small project in about an hour... enjoy...

It's a lot bluer than the pics,

I took enough pics for a DIY if you guys want me to... and I have plenty of LEDs if ppl want them... bought a 50 pack, but you only need 5 if you have an SE with bluetooth, don't know about LE/XLE's

I'll get night shots when it gets dark :)
81 - 100 of 295 Posts

· Registered
1,543 Posts
Anyone else know where to get the appropriate LEDs for the steering controls? I tried Radioshack at my place but they don't carry those.
you won't be able to get LEDs in local stores, unless you have a very specialized electronics store near you. the best place is online... there are many reputable sites, google it!

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Great news everyone... Like I said, I was going to tackle the radio and HVAC this week... and the radio is the easiest mod you can ever do... y? because it's FREE!... all you will need it a screwdriver...

I found out that the LED's are BLUE, except they have a green rubber capsule that gives it that aqua-green color... so all you need to do is remove the green capsules... there are 8 total that you need to do...

Test fitting

8 green capsules that need to be removed

HVAC will be done hopefully over the weekend

· ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,532 Posts
Wow, Interesting.

· Camry Newbie
Camry LE 2008
117 Posts
Great news everyone... Like I said, I was going to tackle the radio and HVAC this week... and the radio is the easiest mod you can ever do... y? because it's FREE!... all you will need it a screwdriver...
Nice job...you save some people time, money and effort :clap:

ebumdude, still waiting for your response...

· Certified Member
218 Posts
ha very nice.

hey netforcerr can you show us how to open up the radio? n good luck on the HVAC controls! i hope they are jux green covers also. so i can save a few bucks :)

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,397 Posts

I found out that the LED's are BLUE, except they have a green rubber capsule that gives it that aqua-green color... so all you need to do is remove the green capsules... there are 8 total that you need to do...

Test fitting

8 green capsules that need to be removed

HVAC will be done hopefully over the weekend
So, would I be able to pop out the ones that are on there now, and solder in the 1206's you think? Or should I wait for my white PLCC-2's to show up? Check out the statement below...

The window control LED is a tiny one, the same type they use in the radio. It is a 1206 size/model LED.

· Camry Newbie
Camry LE 2008
117 Posts
NEtforcer, when you do the window please post a DIY...Hope it isn't a lot of work just to change a LED, good luck..

· Certified Member
218 Posts
hey netforcer, where did you directly get the blue led from? a direct link or the name of the site would be fantastic.

one question. i opened up the control and hvac controls. but im very confused. i don't see any green rubber capsules.. nor do i see any leds. im a noob at solderin. any help would be good. thanks

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
hey netforcer, where did you directly get the blue led from? a direct link or the name of the site would be fantastic.

one question. i opened up the control and hvac controls. but im very confused. i don't see any green rubber capsules.. nor do i see any leds. im a noob at solderin. any help would be good. thanks
Which LED are you talking about? steering wheel control of radio? and what did you open up? the radio or the HVAC controls?

On the radio, the LED's are located on each side, you can see 4 small blocks with green rubber... i'll actually get pics up since I need to open up the radio again this week

· Certified Member
218 Posts
oh im tlkin bout the 1206 led blue 2500mcd. i can only find blue ones with 500 mcd. i wonder where you got urs... a link would be great :)

for opening things up, i have already opened up both the radio and hvac. i don't really see any small block rubbers, i see like 6 small blocks.. but with like a black thing on it... im sure it should be the same since we both have a camry 07 v6.... but im gonna get a friend to look at it 2nite. posting some pics would be great. thanks.

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
oh im tlkin bout the 1206 led blue 2500mcd. i can only find blue ones with 500 mcd. i wonder where you got urs... a link would be great :)

for opening things up, i have already opened up both the radio and hvac. i don't really see any small block rubbers, i see like 6 small blocks.. but with like a black thing on it... im sure it should be the same since we both have a camry 07 v6.... but im gonna get a friend to look at it 2nite. posting some pics would be great. thanks.
you providing pics would be helpful to me also... i'd like to see the inside of a base radio

· Registered
170 Posts
hey, neforcer. How do you take off the plastic cover on the radio? I could just pull it off, but I dont wanna ruin it, and then run to the dealer like a little bitch :lol:

· Certified Member
218 Posts
hey netforcer, thanks for the pic anyway. but i already got it done before, but im guessin it would help others who r trying to perform this mod. I like the blue, it stands out.
o yah so i attempted the hvac controls. it looks like it has green rubber capsules on them. so i took them off, but unfortunately its still the same color after. the leds have to be replaced. by anychance do you noe wut type it is? a link would be awesome :)

hey, neforcer. How do you take off the plastic cover on the radio? I could just pull it off, but I dont wanna ruin it, and then run to the dealer like a little bitch :lol:
silversev6.. even though im not netforcer, i can answer ur question. basically there are 4 screws total, 2 on both sides of the plastic, one should be on the bottom and one should be behind a black sticker. if you take those both out, you should easilly access whats inside.

81 - 100 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.