Toyota Nation Forum banner

Pics of my best mod yet!!! DIY added on page 2

114697 Views 294 Replies 81 Participants Last post by  WesK711
Steering wheel LED swap... Radio swap on page 6!!

So I got my LED's in the mail and completed my small project in about an hour... enjoy...

It's a lot bluer than the pics,

I took enough pics for a DIY if you guys want me to... and I have plenty of LEDs if ppl want them... bought a 50 pack, but you only need 5 if you have an SE with bluetooth, don't know about LE/XLE's

I'll get night shots when it gets dark :)
101 - 120 of 295 Posts

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
hey netforcer, thanks for the pic anyway. but i already got it done before, but im guessin it would help others who r trying to perform this mod. I like the blue, it stands out.
o yah so i attempted the hvac controls. it looks like it has green rubber capsules on them. so i took them off, but unfortunately its still the same color after. the leds have to be replaced. by anychance do you noe wut type it is? a link would be awesome :)

silversev6.. even though im not netforcer, i can answer ur question. basically there are 4 screws total, 2 on both sides of the plastic, one should be on the bottom and one should be behind a black sticker. if you take those both out, you should easilly access whats inside.
I think I may know what you are talking about... did you remove the green capsules from the round bulb? because that will only change the lights of the green indicators of the HVAC control... I still haven't been able to take apart the HVAC knobs since my roommate has the soldering iron... hopefully today...

· Certified Member
218 Posts
yes i removed the green capusles from the round bulb. at first i tried pulling the capsules out with a tweezer, but itz quite impossible. it jux rips. so you have to take out the whole bulb from the other side. Taking apart the Hvac controls is much easier then the radio imo.:lol: haha anyway i don't see a difference from taking out the capsules. the color output is still the same from before. looks like the led needs to be replaced if you want a different color.

· Registered
170 Posts
Netforcer, that looks very nice!!!
So did you have to change the LED's? If you can, please explain what you did. I wanna do my stereo and my HVAC this weekend, but I wanna be prepared for it. If you can post pictures of what it looks like inside and what needs to be done, that would awesome.
Thanks

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
If you want to be ready... then you'll need PLCC-2 LED's, a desoldering braid, soldering iron, tweezers, and patience

when you open the HVAC controls and get to the circuit board, 6 screws will be holding up the knobs... unscew those... this doesn't mean the knobs will come off... prongs are soldered into the board. 3 on the left knob, 6 on the middle, and 3 on the right knob... you will need to use the braid to suck up the solder to pull the knob apart

once the knob is off, the silver cylindrical shell can be pulled apart from the back... once the shell is off, the top can be pulled off...

inside, one screw holds a tiny circuit board... unscrew and pull it out. like the radio, a PLCC-2 led is covered with a green cap... take that off with a tweezer... the bottom led is green or amber (the rear defroster button is amber)with 4 soldering pads... you will need to solder new PLCC-2 led in place, but use only the bottom two soldering points if your led has only two leads... this is where it's tricky... you need to raise the new led, so the leads don't touch the top two pads

Once done, put everything back together and test everything out

· Certified Member
218 Posts
If you want to be ready... then you'll need PLCC-2 LED's, a desoldering braid, soldering iron, tweezers, and patience

when you open the HVAC controls and get to the circuit board, 6 screws will be holding up the knobs... unscew those... this doesn't mean the knobs will come off... prongs are soldered into the board. 3 on the left knob, 6 on the middle, and 3 on the right knob... you will need to use the braid to suck up the solder to pull the knob apart

once the knob is off, the silver cylindrical shell can be pulled apart from the back... once the shell is off, the top can be pulled off...

inside, one screw holds a tiny circuit board... unscrew and pull it out. like the radio, a PLCC-2 led is covered with a green cap... take that off with a tweezer... the bottom led is green or amber (the rear defroster button is amber)with 4 soldering pads... you will need to solder new PLCC-2 led in place, but use only the bottom two soldering points if your led has only two leads... this is where it's tricky... you need to raise the new led, so the leads don't touch the top two pads

Once done, put everything back together and test everything out
very nice! you made my day. i was still in the middle of figuring it out,but now i dunt have to. thanks:clap:

so for ythe PLCC leds.. these will work nicely? http://cgi.ebay.com/50-PCS-PLCC-2-P...ryZ66948QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

· Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
very nice! you made my day. i was still in the middle of figuring it out,but now i dunt have to. thanks:clap:

so for ythe PLCC leds.. these will work nicely? http://cgi.ebay.com/50-PCS-PLCC-2-P...ryZ66948QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
those will work... but try to find fewer... you only need 3... haahaha

so its only 3 of you guys doing this? and maybe clark? wow... thought i'd get everyone to jump on this project... considering all you need to do is pull some green rubber for the most part

· Certified Member
218 Posts

· Here and there...
Camry 07
5,866 Posts

so its only 3 of you guys doing this? and maybe clark? wow... thought i'd get everyone to jump on this project... considering all you need to do is pull some green rubber for the most part
Not everyone is handy like you. I KNOW I can take apart the dash and everythings associate with it. But when I put it back together there will be at least 1 or 2 pieces left over with nowhere to go. :ugh3:
I love your mod but I don't even dare to think about it.

· The Naive Voice of Reason
2018 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum Blizzard White
2,671 Posts
^:lol:

· Registered
395 Posts
So I got my LED's in the mail and completed my small project in about an hour... enjoy...

It's a lot bluer than the pics,

I took enough pics for a DIY if you guys want me to... and I have plenty of LEDs if ppl want them... bought a 50 pack, but you only need 5 if you have an SE with bluetooth, don't know about LE/XLE's

I'll get night shots when it gets dark :)

Wow! That is very very nice.

Where in MD are you located?? I'd love to see this "in living color" :D

· Registered
325 Posts

maybe if someone sent me the leds :)
along witht he tails !!!
i would join the list .....

blue controls on the hvac and the steering wheel would work nicely .... maybe i will even do the shifter assembly as well.... :naughty:

101 - 120 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.