Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one here have a red top optima battery? I've searched for installed pics but i couldn't find any. Im scared to unwrap the one i just purchased today.

The dude at 4wheel parts said i had to special order the battery for my truck. And it came in today. its the Group 35 Red Top 8020-164. This is also the same battery listed on the optima site that goes with our tacomas.

Is it a simple replace?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I've seen a few red tops in Tacomas on TTORA.

I'm pretty sure you have to do a little work to make it fit right. I think it might require some modification to the battery clamp down bar. Nothing major though.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen a few red tops in Tacomas on TTORA.

I'm pretty sure you have to do a little work to make it fit right. I think it might require some modification to the battery clamp down bar. Nothing major though.
Dang it, i though it would be an easy drop in. Ill check out TTORA.

Im surprised nobody on here has pics of their install :sosad:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here are pics of my Optima yellow top installed. I went to this after my stock battery mount failed and the battery bounced around my engine bay breaking the driver headlight bulb, put a hole in the upper tranny line and almost ruptured the oil filter.:D

I used a Blue Torch Fab (BTF) battery box. We drilled holes thru the box and bolted it to the welded nuts on the fender.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,129 Posts
Optima or not, I purchased a battery and none of them fit right with the clamp. Even being an eighth of an inch taller, you have to modify the clamp! I used a small steel rod and pounded it into a hook to use as an extension. Then I hooked the standard clamp onto it.

Took a frickin (replace with your own word here:naughty:) hour to change the battery thanks to the stupid, short-sighted design of the clamp!

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is the Red a different size than the Yellow? The Yellow is a drop in fit right?
Thats what im confused about. Optima battery.com has the one i purchased fitting the tacoma's.

Even the dude at 4wheel parts said it was a simple fit. But now that it looks like i have to make some adjustment im thinking about returning it. :sosad:

·
Wherever I May Roam
221 Posts
Okay - here's the deal. I bought the 34R Red top. You can do one of two things:

1) put the spacer (should come with battery) under it, then you need about another 1/4 of an inch for it to work with the factory hold down. I used a couple of small pieces of plexiglass I had left over from Lowes at the very bottom under the spacer to lift the battery up a bit more.

OR

2) get rid of the spacer and set the battery in the stock location. Measure the hold down rods on each side and use a hacksaw to cut a bit off each end (ends with the hook), then bend a new hook at the end. I ended up doing this option later and cut too much off so I had to go to Wally World for a new rod.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
So is the Red a different size than the Yellow? The Yellow is a drop in fit right?
I believe that the RED comes with opposite poles so it can be a "drop in"

The Yellow has reverse poles so you need to extend the wires.

I don't know if the Yellow comes with the correct orientation poles, yet.

PB has a really nice install!

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts

No, the poles are not on the same side as the stock battery. But I used the side posts and side post adapter for the stock wires, and there was enough slack to get them to swap sided. I had to disconnect the stock ground cable from the negative post to the fender, and then I ran a bigger ground cable in its place.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

Wow, talk about a clean look! Awesome job, Pb!

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Thanks. I've added a little more wiring since that pic was taken. I'm now using both spots on that top negative clamp. I added a big ground cable from the engine block directly to the negative battery clamp.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
I had Les Schwab put in a Red Top today. They used a 75/35, so I have side posts if I want them. They used the spacer that came with the battery underneath it to make it stock height. Looks cheap, but it seems to hold down OK. I really like the look of the billet Optima tray, but I just needed a new battery because after my truck sits for a week the stock battery was going dead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts