Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..so I decided that I am just getting a new head unit for now until I can swing the funds for an amp and new speaks. I am caught up in the bling of the Pioneer 8600. Should I get that or an Alpine? I have listened to a few Alpine's as well as the Pioneer and like the sound out of both, don't really have a pref over one or the other. I think I am just caught up in the looks of the 8600. Ideas? Thanks
 

·
Rice Eater!
Joined
·
177 Posts
Well I've had many decks in my car and to tell you the truth it depends on what you want to hear out of yuor speakers. If you want something crisp and clear without a lot of bass get the Alpine. It looks great and performs great. I love the features and espically the tilt. But it didn't push any bass into my mids or tweets. I had Alpine CDA-7893 with a 6 disc cd changer. Previously i owned a Pioneer Premier DEH-P7600. The dolphin face deck. It pushed out more bass but it wasn't as clear as the Alpine. But the graphics and stuff were cool. I have infinity kappas 6X9's and stock front speakers.
 

·
I get angry when Im sober
Joined
·
1,858 Posts
both make great decks, but i do however prefer the aesthetics of Alpine decks... basically for the money you'll get more features out of Pioneer though. I was looking at the 8600 myself but decided that I would stick with what I have now. I did want the 13 band eq and crossovers, and wanted to try the auto-eq, but oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
RiCebuRneR206 said:
Well I've had many decks in my car and to tell you the truth it depends on what you want to hear out of yuor speakers. If you want something crisp and clear without a lot of bass get the Alpine. It looks great and performs great. I love the features and espically the tilt. But it didn't push any bass into my mids or tweets. I had Alpine CDA-7893 with a 6 disc cd changer. Previously i owned a Pioneer Premier DEH-P7600. The dolphin face deck. It pushed out more bass but it wasn't as clear as the Alpine. But the graphics and stuff were cool. I have infinity kappas 6X9's and stock front speakers.

You really werent getting more bass, it was just a more distorted signal. Alpine is the cleanest head unit you can buy. Pioneer is really not that good, if you were going to compare two that you want to buy, I would Alpine and JVC. JVC is the only other brand I like near alpine. But even thier power is dirty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
i just recently got a job at CircuitCity in the mobile electronics department, so i sell these headunits daily. You're on the right track by looking at Alpine and Pioneer. As stated above, Alpine will give you a better frequency range with more bass. Alpine is more likely to have Dual Pre-outs if thats a feature you would like. IMO, Pioneer looks nicer and is more eye-catching, but thats something you will have to decide for yourself. Both have near exact power
 

·
Got SQ?
Joined
·
780 Posts
You cant go wrong with either one, since you like the bling, just get the pioneer. If you really want a nice clean HU, get a eclipse 8454, oh and I can get those for you cheap too :D
 

·
Registered
Dodge Caravan SE
Joined
·
310 Posts
I'm alpine all the way. If you get the alpine, make sure to get a model with the built in crossover. It makes the sound so much clearer by sending any signal above 120khz to mids and highs and send below 120khz to the subs sounds the best :0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Slaughter said:
I'm alpine all the way. If you get the alpine, make sure to get a model with the built in crossover. It makes the sound so much clearer by sending any signal above 120khz to mids and highs and send below 120khz to the subs sounds the best :0

Yes! Whatever you get make sure you have this crossover. Rear speakers typically dont deal with vocals and high sounds. On my hu, I use the low-pass filter send the low frequencies (80hz and below) to the rear deck 6x9's and run my front stock mids and tweets at full range. I like thump in my music and this crossover basically turns your rears into small subs and creates a more accurate soundstage.

- Paul
 

·
I get angry when Im sober
Joined
·
1,858 Posts
JohnCWms27 said:
i just recently got a job at CircuitCity in the mobile electronics department, so i sell these headunits daily. You're on the right track by looking at Alpine and Pioneer. As stated above, Alpine will give you a better frequency range with more bass. Alpine is more likely to have Dual Pre-outs if thats a feature you would like. IMO, Pioneer looks nicer and is more eye-catching, but thats something you will have to decide for yourself. Both have near exact power
Howdy fellow CC car audio sales person.

AMScamrySE: stay far away from JVC. We get a lot of em back cause they break within the first month. Kenwood is a much better budget brand. We don't carry them anymore cause they dropped all major retailers (except maybe Best Buy?) for some odd reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
JVC shouldn't be compared to Alpine.

Alpine is considered the higher end brand over Pioneer, but it's by far the best as some have mentioned. Dollar for dollar with Pioneer and Alpine you're getting about the same. More features in the Pioneer, slightly more quality in the Alpine. The 8600 is a great unit and you'd be hardpressed to find an Alpine in its price range that can deliver the same quality/features. If you're looking into the 8600 I say go for it.

The comparably priced Alpine is the 9835 I believe and I'd take the 8600 over it personally.
 

·
Got SQ?
Joined
·
780 Posts
120 crossover is too high, need min 80hz, 63 is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
i have a pioneer and now i want alpine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
if you want good quality and the looks, go with the Alpine CDA-7897 with the phantom face. Its a nice unit and sounds real good with some infinity kappas.
 

·
Got SQ?
Joined
·
780 Posts
get the pioneer mp860 instead, great HU for the price. 6.5 volt output, eq left and right independently
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top