Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Hilux
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to oder the master rebuild kit form engnbldr.com but I don't know what size my pistons are. I have a 92 Extended Cab 4x4 3.0 with a 5 speed stick. How do i determine the size?

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
You should first determine if your block needs boring.

If you order standard pistons and it needs to be bored +.010" or more, your SOL with a set of pistons you can't use. Conversely, if you get oversized pistons and the bores are okay, you'll be spending extra $$$ on work you don't really need done.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Did you talk to Ted? DCM is right; you have to measure the bore, measure the pistons, & you'll need to size your rings, too (after you get them). Do you have the FSM?

http://personal.utulsa.edu/%7Enathan-buchanan/93fsm/index.html

Initially, it sounds like you might have bitten off more than you can chew....what's your level of expertise? MAKE SURE you learn as much as possible BEFORE you order. Check Yotatech.com for some GREAT rebuild threads. I have one on here, too.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Take the block to a reputable machine shop and have it checked out to make sure it's even worth rebuilding. If it's OK, have them bore it and they'll tell you what size pistons you need, .010 over, .020 over, etc.

·
Registered
1992 Hilux
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've rebuilt chevy, ford and dodge engines but built it to specs I already had. What my problem is my engine has over 300,000 miles but still runs ok, just losing power now. I just wanted to order an drop in rebuild kit to original specs. The rebuild is easy. But what i was thinking is just buy the kit and have a shop do the rebuild for me.

Maybe I have bitten off my than I can chew.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
But what i was thinking is just buy the kit and have a shop do the rebuild for me.

Maybe I have bitten off my than I can chew.
Not really; buying the kit first is like trying to build a house without the dimensions. You need to do things in the right order, that's all.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Well put :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts