Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that piston slap is a semi-common problem on cars/suvs using the 3.5 V6 2GR-FE engine, at least in the earlier models (pre 2012.) This causes a dull tapping noise, usually pronounced on acceleration, that usually disappates when the car is warm. My question is, for those that have this issue, how many miles do you have now? Has it gotten any worse? I’m just trying to get a consensus on how this issue effects longevity.

· Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
19,218 Posts
Not a Toyota but the C5 Corvettes from the early 2000's had terrible piston slap and besides annoying it never seemed to affect reliability or longevity. My 2001 had over 100k on it when I sold it and the new owner was well aware of the issue and it didn't faze him, not like I could hide it. He bought it 9 years ago from me and last I heard he has put another 80k miles on it without a hiccup, besides drilling holes in the fuel tank when he added speakers. Ouch!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.