Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've finally gotten around to one of the more annoying (but not critical) issues that I have with my wife's 2004 Toyota Camry. When the radio is on, you can clearly hear a rumbling and distorted noise coming from the passenger side rear speaker. Here are my questions:

1. In my preliminary research, it seems like I might have to take the back seat out to replace this speaker. Is that REALLY true? Just by looking at the speaker, it looks like it should (in theory) be easy just to pop this speaker out and connect a new one.

2. Is there any possibility that it's just a loose wire? I know it's a long shot, but it would certainly save me a lot of time.

3. Should I just stick to OEM?

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just recently replace the rear speakers in my 07 Camry LE. To do so, you have to

1. Remove the rear seat cushion. Mine just latches in two spots in the front bottom of the cushion. You can feel where they are. Grab them and yank straight up and pull the cushion out.

2. Once that's removed you have to remove the two back side cushions. In mine that required removing a bolt at the very bottom of them that the bottom cushion was covering. When you do that you have to SLIDE them straight up. Was easier with the rear seats folded down.

3. With that done, remove the two rear side plastic pieces. They're held in with plastic clips and have to be slid toward the front of the car. They help hold the rear deck down.

4. Before removing the rear deck, theres an electrical connection that's gotta be disconnected. Once its disconnected the whole deck just lifts right out.

Now if you're replacing the speakers with aftermarket, you'll need adapters. I got mine off amazon. Need adapters for the front ones also..... and tweeters. Hopefully this helps as mine is an 07. Not sure how accurate it is for a 04.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, should've added also. If you're replacing the head unit, I'd get after market speakers that will handle the power better. If not, factory will be fine. But when I saw that the motor on the OEM speakers were like the size of a quarter, I'm glad I got better ones 🤣

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should've added also. If you're replacing the head unit, I'd get after market speakers that will handle the power better. If not, factory will be fine. But when I saw that the motor on the OEM speakers were like the size of a quarter, I'm glad I got better ones 🤣
Thank you so much for the reply! I think I am going to stick with OEM since I actually like the radio that is in the Camry enough to leave that component alone. The unfortunate part is that OEM speakers for sale online seem a little pricy ($64.99). Perhaps it would be better just to get an aftermarket speaker and replace both at the same time? It sounds like the actual replacement might be a little more involved than I thought it would be. It seemed like I could just pop the speaker out from the top or bottom since the magnet and connecting wires are exposed in the trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea, the speaker goes through and is bolted in from the top. I'd say if the OEM cost that much, just replace it with after market. It's really not too difficult to get them out. Takes me MAYBE 5 minutes to get everything out. Not including the speakers. Those ya wanna take a alittle slower to make sure you arent slapping the window with your wrench

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, the speaker goes through and is bolted in from the top. I'd say if the OEM cost that much, just replace it with after market. It's really not too difficult to get them out. Takes me MAYBE 5 minutes to get everything out. Not including the speakers. Those ya wanna take a alittle slower to make sure you arent slapping the window with your wrench
Thank you for the tips! One more question: does the little grill that protects the rear speakers pop off? I've been trying to get it to come off, and it doesn't seem like a part that actually pops off. I'm assuming that it is supposed to be like this, as I have to go through the steps with the rear seat!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a little update... I was watching this YouTube video, and am beginning to wonder if my speakers aren't actually blown. According to this video, the speaker grill actually can deteriorate over time, which will result in the material vibrating on the speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean anything is possible. I've never seen it deteriorate like that. Are yours falling apart?
I haven't noticed deterioration like this, but I wonder if they are starting to fall apart on the inside. I will have to check when my wife gets home. Either way, at least the video shows a pretty clear picture of what the steps are for getting to the speakers. It's too bad the speaker grills don't pop off easily to make this job a little more simplistic. :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts