Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good people of the forum!

I've made up my mind to get a nice Previa with ca 100k miles on the clock, one owner, good service book, MOT passed a month ago (including CO).

I will get the car checked at the dealer beforehand, but wanted to ask for owner's opinions: if You knew all you know now about a 2.4 petrol Previa, would You have bought your car? My main worry is the excessive oil burning issue on the 2.4: the piston rings etc. Is this problem only noticeable by measuring consumption or is there any other way to know if the problem is there? Will be grateful for all responses:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good people of the forum!

I've made up my mind to get a nice Previa with ca 100k miles on the clock, one owner, good service book, MOT passed a month ago (including CO).

I will get the car checked at the dealer beforehand, but wanted to ask for owner's opinions: if You knew all you know now about a 2.4 petrol Previa, would You have bought your car? My main worry is the excessive oil burning issue on the 2.4: the piston rings etc. Is this problem only noticeable by measuring consumption or is there any other way to know if the problem is there? Will be grateful for all responses:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the last post - not sure why it only copied the previous post without adding what I wrote.

I have two questions on this issue, maybe someone could advise me:
1) are all 2az-fe engines affected with this problem? I am hoping maybe the problem was mostly with the 2007-2009 engines (I see these years mentioned the most), cause the one I'm going for is 2003.
2) what is your estimate on the percentage of engines that actually encounter the problem? Is it 10%, 50% or do all cars equipped with this engine develop this oil problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think there was a TSB for 2006 to 2011. I have a 2005 and oil consumption is low. Haven't really measured it but never required top ups between changes (which are six monthly). I have about 78K on the clock, covering 8-10K per year. Mixed use but mainly highway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005Previa, thanks a lot! Gives hope!

I just got the van and will replace the oil and start measuring it. Love the car already and hope we are gonna friends for years:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply! Driving about 200 km on the highway I got the fuel consumption to about 12 l/100km. I guess in the city it's gonna be about 15 litres, which is fine considering how fast the engine gets warm in cold weather:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check the manual, but I'm afraid it massively understated there. We have a 2014 Land Cruiser 150 in our family, bought it new. It's a diesel. The city fuel consumption is 15 l/100km, the stated averaged is under 10.

The highway speed was 90-95km/h. The terrain is good quality tarmac, no hills, almost no gradient. I had a BMW 318 petrol and it did the same route with 6,5 l/100km. But, of course, the beemer was nowhere near as cool and comfy as the Prev:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2.4 auto and keep the tyres at recommended pressures. I average around 27mpg (Imperial) around town and 31mpg mixed use, mainly highway. On highway in the summer and using cruise at 66-68mph I've seen 34/35 mpg. This is measured by filling the tank, counting the miles, and calculating mpg.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's fantastic gas mileage for such a heavy van. Thanks for the info!! As I posted in the other thread, my fuel consumption seems to be a faulty issue, that I'm gonna try to fix next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts