Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Camry Freak
2021 Highlander
5,260 Posts
I say go for it. In my opinion, the factory 18" wheel and tire package looks awful. The wheels look too small the there is way too much tire sidewall. The 20" wheel and tire size from the factory looks much better.

The factory tire size for 2020+ Highlanders that come with 20" wheels and tires from the factory is 235/55R20.

I put 20" XSE wheels and CrossClimate2 tires on my XLE about two months ago and the ride quality is about the same as the 18" wheels and tires that it came with from the factory. While you'd think that opting for 20" wheels would result in very low profile tires... in reality the 20" tire size that Toyota opts for with the Highlander still leaves plenty of sidewall and the ride quality is fine as long as you choose tires that aren't super aggressive or low quality.

If the original poster sticks with the 20" wheel and tire specs, they'll be fine.

Tips:
If you aren't going with a 20x8" wheel, make sure that the tire size maintains the same overall diameter as the OEM wheel/tire setup. If you stick with the 20" OEM wheel/tire size (20x8"), then use 235/55R20. If you go with a different size wheel- then you'll have to use an online wheel/tire calculator to ensure that you pick a tire size that will maintain that same overall diameter (wheel+tire).

Don't cheap out on the tires. If you buy cheap tires- then all bets are off regarding ride quality and noise. There are lots of good tire options these days- especially if you go with the factory 20" tire size.

My XLE with the original 18" wheel and tire package:
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Sky

My XLE with 20" XSE wheels and CrossClimate2 tires... still plenty of tire sidewall and the ride is fine:
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Still plenty of tire sidewall for a comfy ride with 235/55/20 tires:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

These aren't ultra-low profile tires... tons more sidewall than the 19" wheel and tire package on my Accord.. which did have a rougher ride when rolling on the factory 19" wheels and tires. The ride got much better with the 17" wheels and tires that I used in winter:

Accord with 19" wheels/tires:
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Accord with 17" wheels/tires:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2,268 Posts
The 18” on both highlander and RX are crappy lookin. 20s are great. Either way you are paying for the larger if you got 20s off the lot or later down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Camry Freak
2021 Highlander
5,260 Posts
Did the same on XLE, those 18’s were killing me View attachment 404915
Best part is that those 20" XSE wheels are actually not that pricey to buy for how big they are. For some reason, they are noticeably cheaper than the 20" wheels that Toyota puts on the Limited and Platinum trims. It was actually cheaper to buy a set of four of those XSE wheels through a local dealer's website than to buy a set of the Limited/Platinum wheels used on Ebay or Craigslist. I suppose it's helpful that my local dealer's website sells those XSE wheels new for about 30% off of MSRP.

Those look great on your silver Highlander, by the way. ;)

· Registered
562 Posts
Funny. I switched out my 20 inch on my limited to the 18 inch that comes with the XLE. I like extra sidewall. The ride is smoother, quieter, better for going off pavement, and handle potholes better.

· Registered
170 Posts
Yeah. More rubber is better for ride and robustness against potholes and hitting curbs with the rims. More aluminum is better for handling, though probably not consequentially in a vehicle like a HL. I always thought low profile tires looked silly on pickups and SUVs.

· Registered
2007 Tacoma Base
149 Posts
hi all, i am planning to put a 20" rim on my 2020 Toyota Highlander. any advice ? tips ?. thank ya'll
Whatever for?
Presumably, your vehicle was designed and engineered to operate effectively and efficiently using the wheel size and tires it came with from the factory. It is, now three years old and a depreciating asset by definition, so you'll be selling it in another three years or so? Maybe with a spare set of 18" wheels and tires?

Assuming you are in need of a fresh set of tires this 'plan' will cost you the difference in price between the 18" tires Toyota recommends and the 20" tires that "look great" to the many strangers you drive by plus the price of four new rims, less whatever you can get for your used set on Ebay or Craigslist. Curious, have you done that Math yet, or are you in the early stage of your dreaming - planning?

Did you contact a dealer or read the warranty carefully to see if changing wheels might impact your warranty or insurance coverage?

Its a car fro heavens'sake, not a status symbol or a decoration! It must have looked 'good' to you at some point, after all you bought and paid/are paying for it. Accept it like the wife's looks and live with it.

· Registered
73 Posts
Whatever for?
Presumably, your vehicle was designed and engineered to operate effectively and efficiently using the wheel size and tires it came with from the factory. It is, now three years old and a depreciating asset by definition, so you'll be selling it in another three years or so? Maybe with a spare set of 18" wheels and tires?

Assuming you are in need of a fresh set of tires this 'plan' will cost you the difference in price between the 18" tires Toyota recommends and the 20" tires that "look great" to the many strangers you drive by plus the price of four new rims, less whatever you can get for your used set on Ebay or Craigslist. Curious, have you done that Math yet, or are you in the early stage of your dreaming - planning?

Did you contact a dealer or read the warranty carefully to see if changing wheels might impact your warranty or insurance coverage?

Its a car fro heavens'sake, not a status symbol or a decoration! It must have looked 'good' to you at some point, after all you bought and paid/are paying for it. Accept it like the wife's looks and live with it.
I disagree. My 2006 Highlander has 249,873 miles on it. I’ve had it since 2007. I can’t see me ever letting her go. I’m doing plain steel 18-inch wheels with Conti Ultra’s 255/55x18 tires. When I was making payments she was a liability. For the past 14, low risk, high return asset.

· Registered
138 Posts
hi all, i am planning to put a 20" rim on my 2020 toyota highlander. any advice ? tips ?. thank ya'll
Grease up your wallet, the bills are going to be flying out of it. 20" wheels are expensive, so are the tires that fit them. Bear in mind that you will not have the same cushion effect and that may affect the ride quality and sensitivety to pot hole damage to those expensive rims.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts