Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I just bought my first Toyota yesterday: a Corolla 2007 with 36K miles. The dealership offered us the Platinum Protection plan for $900 for 4 years. It covers a whole lot of things (too many to type here).

I'm wondering if anyone has a similar vehicle and thinks this plan is a good value. Theoretically if the A/C goes out or anything major in the next 4 years this would be a good deal, but with the reliability of Corollas is this really an issue?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That's a good deal for the platinum protection plan.

Some will tell you it's a waste of money, and given the general reliability of these cars that's usually true, but if something does go wrong, although rare, it's usually pretty expensive.

I got it for mine, knowing full well that it was most likely a waste, just for the peace of mind that if the engine or transmission blew up between 60,000 and 100,000 miles that it would be covered. It was worth it to me in that sense.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
What does it cover? Must you only get work done at Toyota Dealers for the life of the warranty? What does the fine print say?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If I remember my booklet correctly, it covers everything except:

belts, hoses, brake pads/shoes, rotors/drums, seats, interior trim, struts/shocks, battery, and anything that's generally expected to require replacement before 100,000 miles.

The next step down covers basically nothing, but the platinum extra care covers most everything on the vehicle...especially the 6-disc changer that's prone to jamming. I had mine replaced under the warranty just to have a working one, and then immediately installed an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

Yes - the Platinum covers basically everything that isn't "basic maintenance" like Gideon mentioned. I'd type everything out but there's 3 pages of very tiny print. :eek:

I do believe the work has to be done at a Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
52 Posts
One air conditioner failure on a 2008 Corolla and the plan paid for itself. Car was out of regular warranty. The myth of Toyota reliability is just that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts