1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 toyota pickup 2wd
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 84 2wd with manual steering that has developed play in the
steering system.
I don't where the play is or what parts might cause this.

So do I need new bushings or just rebuild or replace something?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Raise the front wheels off the ground. Grab each tire at the 3 and 9 o’clock position and shake the tire to check for play. Watch the steering wheel to make sure this is not the source of excess play.

Problem areas could be the tie rod end that attaches to the steering knuckle, there is also a joint at the other end of the steering rod, the bushings in the steering housing could be worn, too much play in the rack and pinion area, worn steering column U-joint.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
... too much play in the rack and pinion area, ...
84 had no Rack and Pinion. R&P steering came out in the 90's.

Most likely the problem is the steering relay rod (pass side of the steering system) is shot. Next is probably worn bushings. Last would be worn steering gear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey,

The easiest thing to test (so I would check it out first), would be worn steering gear or steering box. Pop the hood and grab the steering shaft and see if you can turn it with your hand back and forth. If theres no play and you cant turn it by hand your good. If it moves all over it either needs to be adjusted which is easy or replaced.

Mine was loose, and needed to be adjusted....my friends truck was extremely loose and we tried adjusting his, and it was just too worn and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
84 toyota pickup 2wd
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is an acceptable amount of play from the gear box?

I've got like 30 degrees of play.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ive adjusted my gearbox before by loosing the nut on top and turning the screw. It hard to get just right its very sensitive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What is an acceptable amount of play from the gear box?

I've got like 30 degrees of play.
I would try and adjust it until it seems like theres no play. You can only go so far though. Even if you can adjust it until there is no play, it may be overly tight and put way too much tension on your steering wheel. Try tightening it up a bit and see if you notice if your steering wheel is harder to turn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts