Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Camry: 94-I4 and 94-V6
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone here had done changing the rusted rear brake lines, underneath the car, at home before ?

Was it worth it doing it ourselves ? Was it messy ?

I appreciate all your advices.

Camry1994, I4.
Ottawa/Canada

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,897 Posts
i had to do this about a year ago. i did it in my garage and it really isnt messy. i bought the pre-bent lines from the dealer as well. the only unexpected part i ran into was i decided to remove the old lines which run next to the rusty fuel lines. i ended up disturbing them enough which caused a leak and i had to replace those lines as well.

·
Camry: 94-I4 and 94-V6
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much.

Any special tools I need to unbolt the old lines ? How easy is access ? (Once the car is jack up and on the stands, I guess I have to do the change).

The new lines will stay close to the car's metal frame ?

I'm scared of the rust underneath there.

The gas lines have been replaced by "rubber" tubes 1-2 years ago.

PS: I'll call dealer and Napa to check on their prices for brake lines. Current brake lines are rusted out but still no leak, yet.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,897 Posts
no special tools, just a box wrench.

access isnt too bad - old lines can be cut out and the new lines fit pretty close to where the old lines were. the lines are pretty long (especially the passenger side rear wheel) so the dealer had to bend them in half just to have them transported. didnt have any issues with the lines kinking, but do be careful.

replacing the lines is pretty straight forward. the hardest part was figuring a way to feed the new lines into the rear wheel wells and connect them to the brake. i ended up having to bend them straight then bend the "u" back into them to connect. start with the rear and work your way forward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts