Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My light came on and I cannot get rid of it. I checked the pressure on all four tires and the spare, all OK. What I think I did though I made it worse as I hit the switch below the wheel thinking it would reset the light (like a similar one does on my daughters scion). The light didn't go away.

After some research here, it's a "dumb system" and by pressing the button, I made the current pressure the standard?

To get it properly reset, I need to lower the pressure on all five tires to around 27 or, hit the reset(set) button, them pump them up?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Set the tires to the pressure you want to keep them at, then reset the indicator. It'll then come on when they're 2-3 psi below where you set it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. Then if I set it at where it's at now, then it should have gone out. Hmmmm....

I had my tires balanced, these aren't hooked to anything right?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Let's start at the beginning because there's some things we need to know. First, how did you reset them? I know Asgard 1976 once posted the below instructions for the reset. But is your light solidly lit or blinking? If solidly lit, you should be able to follow the procedure below to reset it. If blinking, that can be a signal that one of the sensors is bad. Have you had any tires taken off/mounted on the wheels lately? BTW, balancing won't impact it.

1) Park vehicle
2) Check and adjust pressure to specified cold tire inflation level (driver's door label...don't forget the spare)
3) Turn ignition 'on'
4) Push and hold TPMS switch until TPMS warning light blinks 3 times
5) Wait a few minutes with the ignition 'on' and turn the ignition 'off'

Reactions: ron.p

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
The OP is correct - it's not a reset button. The purpose of the button is to set the pressure below which it tells you there's a pressure problem by turning on the light solid (not blinking).

That's what the proceudre 05Moose posted above does. It doesn't reset the system otherwise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both! I kept trying to do it when driving (yea, I know). I guess doing it when "on" was the ticket. Appreciate it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts