Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I just picked up a new 2005 Camry LE, our first new car together. Somehow (don't ask how) neither of us realized until after we picked it up that the base CD receiver doesn't come with a tape deck, which means my normal method of hooking in my mp3 player is no longer possible.

I purchased one of those FM transmitter connectors today (from Belkin), but even though it was well reviewed it hardly seems to work at all for me. It seems we have two options -

1) try to see if we can pay the dealer to replace the receiver with the next level up (the AM/FM/CD/tape version)

2) purchase a decent replacement receiver, preferrably one with a front-panel aux-input so that we can get as good a connection with the mp3 player as possible.

Any thoughts from anyone on whether option 1 might be possible, or if not, suggestions for option 2? Since it's a brand new car I'd like any replacement stereo to fit relatively seemlessly in the dash.

Thanks.

·
Judo photoCHOP!
65 Posts
Regarding the FM transmitter, remember that your antenna is a patch that is stuck on your rear windshield. Since the transmitting power of those things are very low since the are designed with an aerial antenna that is closer to the front of the car in mind, try positioning the mp3 player transmitter closer to your rear windshield...

In any case, I thought all Camrys came std. with an AM/Fm/CD/tape receiver.

Just my .02

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
I'd have to agree with maggotdecay about swapping in a new mp3 compatible head unit, also you should upgrade your stock speakers cause they suck.

·
Registered
toyota camry
652 Posts
jwd1,
here are some quick options.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

jeep2tacoma found the following for $60USD

<http://www.crutchfield.com/S-y4OG39yYCvc/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=581DFTOY&search=USA+Spec+Auxiliary+Interface+Toyota>

hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts