Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if someone else is having the same problem as I am.
What I have is 98 corolla LE auto, when we first got the car it had 192,000miles
Initially the tranny was having some issues when in reverse but it was still moving, after replacing the oil and filter it got better. As of now the car 205,000 miles and the reverse only works when the engine is cold. I can start the car put it reverse let go of the brake and it will move like a dream, once its driven for a while and I put it back in reverse nothing happens, literally you will think it is in neutral. I have to rev it a couple of time and then I can feel the reverse slipping a little but making the car move barely. All other gears are fine, usually I drive on the highway around 70-75 mph and the car rpms are around 2500 may be 2600 if i have the A/C on!
Anyone else having this problem? The Toyota dealer told me that those 4 speeds auto are very likely to go out!
Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It sounds like what happened to my '96 Mazda 626, and if that's the case, your tranny is going. With mine, reverse started slipping a bit, then wouldn't work at all, then first went and at that point I just replaced the whole thing.

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
Low/reverse is probably fried. you could try some B&M trick shift in the trans to help make the clutches grab. flushing the trans made it worse. might i suggest getting rid of the car soon cause your trans is done. best way i can put it.

Reactions: 2004

·
11,501 Posts
Low/reverse is probably fried. you could try some B&M trick shift in the trans to help make the clutches grab. flushing the trans made it worse. might i suggest getting rid of the car soon cause your trans is done. best way i can put it.

He won't get much for it, though

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats why i am thinking about just putting another transmission in it
does anyone know what they run for? i have checked a local yard and the wanted $125 for a used out of 99 le with 87,000miles

·
11,501 Posts
thats why i am thinking about just putting another transmission in it
does anyone know what they run for? i have checked a local yard and the wanted $125 for a used out of 99 le with 87,000miles

That sounds pretty good, but you don't know if the 87,000 miles were hard or easy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds pretty good, but you don't know if the 87,000 miles were hard or easy.
true there is absolutely to guarantee that it has 87,000 limes either
what about rebuilding? has anyone done it before? are there any kits available from toyota?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts