Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no look finding any help with my issue. My 2014 4Runner premium sport went into limp mode 3-4 months ago. Engine codes P2440 and P2442 secondary air injection pump. I took it to the “master mechanic” at a Toyota dealership and he replaced the valve set and air pump. 2 days later, it goes into limp mode again. Long story short, the mechanic and a few others couldn’t figure out why it keeps going into limp mode. It goes into limp mode maybe once a week and sometimes more. Need help guys. I appreciate it so much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd say you might have a broken wire or loose pin in the harness between the pump and ECU. It may vibrate just enough to lose continuity when driving, other times it may be fine.

First thing I'd check is the connector on the harness. Make sure all the wires are connected to the pins, nothing is loose and if you are in a salt state, check the harness for corrosion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve always thought it was a wiring issue but that mechanic kept telling me no codes were showing wiring. I asked him to check the pins and he thought they looked bad and all he did was bend one or something. Idk. Would a bypass help at all? I found one and was going to by it. It’s for this exact issue. And thank you for replying

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,444 Posts
Do you still have the" Engine codes P2440 and P2442 secondary air injection pump"?
Was this issue fixed?
Any other codes?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,278 Posts
FWIW, I had a friend with a 4runner that was a few years older that had the same issues and codes that started your journey. Shop did those repairs and "limp mode" starting becoming an issue. With hers it was the harness attaching to the transmission that was getting disturbed? long enough to put the vehicle in limp mode but not show any codes immediately but were stored on the ecm so around and around it went. Her mechanic finally hooked up a scanner with Live Data and reset everything and drove it until it went into Limp again and spotted the sensor/wiring issue at the transmission

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also, you need to figure out a list of items that will put your vehicle into limp mode. Will an air injection pump "failure" put it into limp mode, or are those two separate items.

It sure sounds to me you have a wiring harness problem. You need wiring diagrams, test equipment, a whole lot of patience, and a start point. At this time, sounds pretty random and clouds the diagnostic path.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much guys, give me a direction to go instead of being in limbo. And it does still through them codes even after I repacked and supposedly “fixed” the air pump and valves. So would a bypass harness not fix this issue than? Sorry, I’m far from mechanical.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,444 Posts
Question: Is this being done by dealer under emissions warranty or are you paying for it?
Either way they own you a redo for their misdiagnosis if same codes appear .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts