Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I don't own a toyota. I have nothing against them, I've just never owned one. My next truck will be a Toyota. Anyway, back to the reason I am here. My elderly next door neighbor's wife has cancer and the other evening they were driving home from Chemo when his headlights went out on his 1999 Sienna. He is disabled and she has just recently been diagnosed and the outlook is grim. They are two of the nicest people you could ever meet. This evening he was explaining to me how "a friend of his" who "used to work for GM" had tried to fix his lights but just could not find the problem and had only charged him $100 to fix them, but now they were not working again. He was talking about all the medical bills and how he has no money to take it and have it fixed. I asked him if he would mind me looking at the van. I was shocked at what I saw.
The "friend" had cannibalized the factory headlight / turn signal switch and installed a $3 switch under the dash with wires that ran to the fuse box in the engine compartment. The wires terminated into two blade type connectors that went into a location in the fuse box that appears to have once held a relay. The covers to the fuse box are missing. There is evidence of corrosion on all the fuses and relays and they do not want to come out. He states the covers on the fuse box were missing when he bought the van about two years ago.
I have not looked under the dash yet to see what damage "the friend" has done. I stopped when I discovered no fuse / relay labels or diagrams in the manual. I am guessing the relays are marked under the cover of the fuse box. "The friend" also cut into the wires located at each headlamp and ran a wire to each head lamp and grounded the other end.

I would like to try and help him, but I need some information in order to do so and I am hoping you guys can help me. First, I need to undo everything "the friend" did before I can even try to diagnose the original problem. I need to confirm he removed a relay. Can someone please post a pic of the fusebox under the hood (without the cover) and indicate where the headlamp relay should be if there is one. Second, if there is a relay for the head light system located there, can you please post a part number or information off of your relay. Third, I have looked on the internet trying to find a schematic for the head lamp electrical system. Can someone help with this? And fourth, I need to find covers for both of the fuse blocks in the engine compartment. I've looked on the internet but can't seem to find these. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you get this problem resolved. I have all of the information you requested. I can email you diagrams as they cannot be posted here. I can post pics later this evening. I think that the head lights have two sets of relays one regular set and the daytime running light set. Headlights wired without relays is bad news.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts