Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hooking up my tach just now, an aftermarket one I got off ebay, By reading here, I found a thread that said to hook up my tack here.,

So I did, In another one, I was told to hook up my power and ground for the tack in the clock,

So I did, Originally, I tested the tach in the engine bay, power, ground dirrectly to the battery, and the green wire on the tack to the place in the first picture, It worked fine, no problems, when I hooked it up in the truck, When I went to start the truck, there was a loud noise, and everything in the truck died, Headlights, dome, stereo, starter dosent even try to turn over, the sound you hear when the key is in the ignition, the buzzing, is gargled, battery lgith barely comes on, as does the parking break light... Nothing works at all... What did I do? This is my only car, and I have no idea what I have done to him... Is there hope? Is there a fuse for the starter?

·
Desert Racer
Pickup
31 Posts
Yes, there's hope. Every electrical component incorporates a fuse or circuit breaker. Find a buddy with a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) and start checking stuff (using the ohm setting, which should read 0 if the fuse is good). You have already shown us a picture of the engine bay fuse block. Start there. Then check both fuse panels inside the cab, behind the driver's and passenger's kick panels. Look for burnt ground wires too. And check the battery voltage, it should be 12.6 volts or higher. If it's at 12.4 or lower, then your battery is less than 50% charged, so bust out your battery charger. But if your battery has caps, put on your safety glasses, pry off the caps, and make sure there's water in each of the six cells. Then don't touch your clothes or the battery acid will make holes. Go wash your hands...with SOAP. Then charge your battery.

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

What did I do? Was that the wrong place for power, and grounds? Or the Tach wire itself? I'm not really worried about the tach, a component is useless without a vehicle that runs.

·
Desert Racer
Pickup
31 Posts
I'm not sure what you did because I don't know where or how you connected the wires for the tach or if you accidentally laid a monkey wrench across the two battery terminals. I'm assuming something happened that caused something to short out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you put it in the connecter right by the DIS box you should be fine.. i hoooked mine up that way and tested it serveral times and it worked just fine..

what did you use for your power for the limmiation light? (the light that lights the tack up when its dark?)

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The tach only has Black, Red, and Green, The black and red were hooked up to the through the clock, and the green was pluged in right next to the diagnostics thing with the grey lid, on the passenger side. To turn it on in the dark, you press the color button on the face of the tach, it changes 7 diff colors by the push of a button, or atleast it used to. I just unhooked, the tach, all accesorie, I had wired in the car, Stereo, Driving lights in my headlights, everything that was hooked up to the battery, When I went to start the truck, there was a big spark on the positive battery terminal, You guys thing an altometor, is the best way to go for now? I have $98 to fix this problem by tonight when I have to be to work... What would be the best thing to buy with this $98?

·
Banned
443 Posts
Have you got a meter yet? We're all just chasing our tails for nothing if you don't have one.

They're cheap, you can find one at Walmart 10-15 bucks.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
It's hard to imagine that this could have happened from any problem with the clock circuit.

Is it possible that you have aftermartket stereo equipment installed that could have "hot" wires hooked up that may have shorted to ground when you were disturbing the wiring in the dash?

Anyhow, it sounds like a main fuse or fusiblelink has blown.

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my brother take the battery to Checker, it was bad, they told me it could be because i had a bad altinnator, I went back to the house, pulled my altinator, took it back had it checked, it was good, put it back in the truck, hooked up the new battery, and I didnt even try to start it, I put the key in, and turned it to acc. and there was a whining from the posotive battery terminal, like a sizziling. so, in fear, that I blow another battery, I guess I just need to get down to Checker, and get an altometer, the only problem with that is, no matter what the problem is, I don't have any money to fix it till payday, I just spent 300 on the truck this week, New Shocks all the way around, and just got another battery. so I am left with 30 till the 21st. Thanks for the help guys, I'll see what I can do, and I'll check the stereo thing right now, see if I had/have a hot wire. I have a light tester.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Before you just start throwing parts at it you should get help from someone who knows how to test it.

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A shop is all I know, and I cant get it there becasue it dosnt run.. I had that thought too, I could get an altometor, but I don't know what wires should read what. Would a Chilton or haynes tell me? Not a single wire, from the original Stereo is in use, The deck is completley hard wired in, I'm going to go cut the wires down and cap them off, or even just pull them completly, If I can figure out how to follow them to their source.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Nimrod152 said:
A shop is all I know, and I cant get it there becasue it dosnt run.. I had that thought too, I could get an altometor, but I don't know what wires should read what. Would a Chilton or haynes tell me? Not a single wire, from the original Stereo is in use, The deck is completley hard wired in, I'm going to go cut the wires down and cap them off, or even just pull them completly, If I can figure out how to follow them to their source.
Whoa bud... just stop where you're at. You're going in blind it sounds like, and you'll have that truck all chopped up and never get it together.

Get a meter. A simple cheap multimeter. Then get back to us and we can walk you through what to check. Until then, like Vicoor said, you're wasting money, and wasting your time and the time of people trying to help.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
before you do anything else get up under your dash and look around for wires that have been spliced together that may not have been properly insulated. Like loosely wound black tape or worse Duct tape or masking tape.

All the wiring problems Ive found on Toyotas over the years, And that's a lot, you could count the ones that were not created by someone who had improperly wired an aftermarket component with half the fingers on one hand.

usually you can just look for the butchered wires.

Do you have any "hot" wires that go directly from the battery to under the dash?

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Ok, I just took mommys car, and got a multi Meter, where do I start? Vicoor I had two wires that went from my battery to under my dash, One for my angel eyes in my headlights, and one for my stereo Deck, dirrectly to the battery, I have since removed both of them. Completely, not just unhooked. I;m on MSN, [email protected] if that would be quicker.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Ya might consider checking the positive battery terminal....make sure the connection is CLEAN and TIGHT before you go off on some tangent.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I beat i know what you did... I was reading in my factory manual.. also the free manual you can find on this form.. on page MA-12 Notice:

NEVER allow the tachometer terminal to touch ground as it could result in damage to the igniter and/or ignition coil....

So am pretty much thinking that you fried your ignition coil.. hate to say...

·
Nimrod152
91 Ext 4x4
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found the problem....

ProBuilder said:
Ya might consider checking the positive battery terminal....make sure the connection is CLEAN and TIGHT before you go off on some tangent.
Thanks Probuilder turns out, I would assume due to a slowly dieing battery, it had eaten through the posotive battery terminal, after noticing the huge spark every time I tried to start the truck, I had already tested the altinator at checker, it was good, I completly took out the wiring for the posotive and negative on the battery, the acid and slowly corroded through the terminal, so it wasnt getting enough power to anything, ie... Starter that's why it wouldnt even try to turn over. went to walmart and replaced them for 4 dollars. hooked everything back up, and it started right up, the only thing to do now is determine, if all this was caused from hooking up the tach, or if it was just cooincidence and timing... Another time, and another forum. Thanks for all the feedback guys, who needs a machanic when we have toyota nation.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I am a mechanic, toyota factory trained, ase certs up the whazoo, 27 years experience.

I will never professionally turn a wrench again in a shop.....GM killed the auto industry on 9-12 and they still don't understand that....I knew it the second I saw the "no money down, no payments, zero interest" commercials.

In the 80's it was easy for me to make 25+$ an hour flat rate......now I see job offers daily that are in the 12-15$ range.
I'd rather flip burgers for that kind of money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts