Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all,

This is my first post and not the most computer savvy guy in the world.

I am having issues with Toyota Canada, I will keep this short and to the point as best I can.

I bought my 02 Tundra last year in Alberta. Unfortunately the frame issue has popped up on me. I understand this has been beat to death, however I need the assistance of the Tundra Community on this one. I had a recall check done and was told the rear cross member had a service campaign on it.

1. I went in, the frame had a hole 22x14mm 2" away from the cross member
2. Was told it did not qualify for the frame replacement.
3. I researched this thing to death. The NHTSA documents in the US show that any hole in the frame upon inspection (including bed removal) states the frame MUST be replaced. Talking to Toyota Canada they said the US one doesn't count. Talking to Transport Canada, they said they usually follow their US counterparts
4. Toyota undercoated my frame with a hole in it, they did not remove the bed and did not spray the top of the frame or the tops of the cross member. Yes, a total hack job.
5. They said, have a nice day.

Upon speaking with Toyota Canada on multiple occasion they have told me to pound sand. I even suggested to release a frame to me at MY COST (2500.00) They again told me to pound sand. What's a guy to do.....contact Transport Canada. The manufacturer has no one to answer to because it's not a recall. That's their way of circumventing someone watching over them.

Conclusion: Once Transport Canada has had enough complaints they will hold an investigation where under the new S2 Bill, they will be able to hold the company accountable for their engineering fail.

Please, if you have had a frame issue. Contact Transport Canada and place a complaint to hold Toyota Canada to the same standard as it's US counterpart which is still replacing frames to this day for people who actually need them.

Thanks in advance,

Creeperchimp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The front part of the frame is good, the rear is soft around the wheel areas. Got any mint frames in Texas? Since Toyota Canada is hoarding them and won't sell me one, I may end up going used. Out of principal I don't believe I should.

·
13,383 Posts
You might be able to locate one on www.car-part.com but I'm going to doubt that anything close to you is gonna be just as bad. You might be better off looking at buying another Tundra becuase of the costs and time involved in a frame swap. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've contacted a few US parts placed on there with no response. In willing to do the drive if there is a clean one. The swap won't be an issue, done that stuff before. I'm wondering if a US dealer would do it under the American campaign. Toyota Canada won't release their campaign details. Wish I had those.

·
13,383 Posts
What's the specs on yer Tundra?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Get a hammer and find the weak spots by sound, then fab up the replacements. Cut out the bad parts, inspecting the areas you can now access, also any hidden areas get them out. Mig or TIG weld in the replacements, preferably done by a welder who really knows his stuff (like my brother who welded up a titanium model of a F15 on a test plate).

That way it's fixed and I know it's done right, that problem solved, now you go after whoever you think is responsible and see if you can gain compensation.

Good luck with compensation.

Easier with bed removed, I did my brothers "gift" 1981 using a Full size Chevy truck trailer hitch to replace the worst around the front shackle perch on the left side, where it had lost 65% of it's integrity. It just sits there, only ran 2 tanks of fuel through it in 2017 but the frame should be good for another decade. Of course it's 21 years older than your truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
..Count me in..

Hey Creeprchimp, I just bumped in to your post, I have a 06 DC 4x4 TRD offroad & i realised driverside boxed frame has developed a cracked line and adjacent is weak enough that a hammer tap will puncher the frame. I called TCI HO they told me to go to a dealer & have them send a report which i have done and waiting...
Am sure lot more of Tundras might crop up (just like the tacos framemare) & we can collectively launch a suit here in Canada if need be. Now for that its good if you keep truck intact, keep paper work, logs/records of who you spoke to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep me posted please. I have it all by email with the dealer service manager. Even he agrees Toyota is playing games.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also if you wouldn't mind, contact Transport Canada and make an official complaint. This will force an investigation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well here i am in the good ol u s of a. had my truck inspected and undercoated years ago. i now have a number of holes in my frame and was told the the same thing.so welcome to the club!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
sanforc
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing