Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is making a weird grinding noise while I’m coasting in gear (applying no gas). I also drive a manual transmission (if that’s important). Just noticed it today and was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think it is and where I should start looking.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
1,002 Posts
Disclosure : I'm NOT an ASE certified mechanic, been said that, how many miles on it, if you like to do coasting more than likely your transmission is failing, the throw out bearing may be gone and that's why you hear that noise. I hope I'm wrong on this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its coming from the front right. I hear it at low speeds when I’m coasting to stop. I usually step on the clutch and go neutral (20kms and under). The sounds is like a grrr grrr grrr sound.

there is 167,000 kms on the car. So I guess around 100,000 miles? Also brakes and rotors were replaced recently

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,517 Posts
Check the wheel bearing.

The play in the wheel can indicate if it's a wheel bearing, lower ball joint or outer tie rod.

Look for grease in the boot of the lower ball joint. But this would only happen as the suspension compresses and decompresses.

It's more likely to be a wheel bearing since its rotational. But it can also be a stuck caliper.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
283 Posts
Check the wheel bearing.

The play in the wheel can indicate if it's a wheel bearing, lower ball joint or outer tie rod.

Look for grease in the boot of the lower ball joint. But this would only happen as the suspension compresses and decompresses.

It's more likely to be a wheel bearing since its rotational. But it can also be a stuck caliper.
I agree with this post it is likely to be one of the two of these things rather than a clutch problem itself

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Check the wheel bearing.

I was going to say this too. Check for play in the wheel and for any tears in the rubber boots.

Reactions: 75aces
1 - 6 of 6 Posts