Toyota Nation Forum banner

Please help

408 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Kfugate
In the last couple weeks I have had to replace over 5 quartz of oil in my car . Keep smelling burning oil and when we checked oil level each time it was almost none on the dip stick. My husband took these pictures from underneath the car . Any idea what would cause this kind of oil leak on 02 Toyota Avalon.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Administrator
14,641 Posts
Oil is everywhere, making it hard to tell the source. Start looking higher up first. Common source is the valve covers, particularly the rear, as the motor is tilted rearwards, causing oil to pool up against the rearmost edge of the rear bank’s valve cover.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Did you have an oil change done recently? With the oil on the front part of the subframe and the amount of oil you indicated, a good chance the leak is under pressure, and not a simple gasket leak, would start with checking the oil filtre is tight! Drain plug as well.
Maybe leave the engine running and watch what area the oil is dripping down from!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil is everywhere, making it hard to tell the source. Start looking higher up first. Common source is the valve covers, particularly the rear, as the motor is tilted rearwards, causing oil to pool up against the rearmost edge of the rear bank’s valve cover.
Thanks for your advice I will check into it

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have an oil change done recently? With the oil on the front part of the subframe and the amount of oil you indicated, a good chance the leak is under pressure, and not a simple gasket leak, would start with checking the oil filtre is tight! Drain plug as well.
Maybe leave the engine running and watch what area the oil is dripping down from!
No I'm actually having an oil change tomorrow hoping that will solve the issue if it is related to filter or oil pan. Thank you for your advice

· Registered
438 Posts
Ya that is a mess. Can not tell the source from those pictures. Oil spills down and back (when driving) so you need to look forward and up of the wet area. Find the highest point you can find wet oil.

If you are taking it in for an oil change they will be able to find the source of your leak.

Just curious. Was this a sudden leak? something that just started or was it a leak that has gotten worse over time? How long have you been smelling burning oil?

I am going to guess an issue with the oil filter or a front valve cover gasket has a major leak. Can you share some pictures of the engine compartment, oil filter area?

Don't forget to report back and let us know what it was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts