Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so just recently i purchased a 92 paseo it has its stock 5e-fe in it, after driving it around a little, i absolutely fell in love with it. but just today something bad happened... i did my first oil change on it, heres how it went... drained oil from reservoir, removed old filter put on new filter, replaced nut on reservoir, filled up. after everything was done i fired up my car and a bit of smoke was coming out of exhaust, and out of the bottom of my engine. i looked and about a half a quart of oil drained out in about 2 mins time. i decided to take it a quarter mile, and it looked like i was lighting smoke bombs up and down the street. everybody says i blew my head. or warped it, or worn out piston rings etc... anyways im gonna do a swap on it does anybody know what (if any) other engines i can put in my baby, i need her back i refuse to sell it. any input is good input, thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
couldnt really find much, maybe a few direct links, sorry im a noob with this forum stuff. i know these things are supposed to help people, but i never got into them and now i think it might be too late.

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
so just recently i purchased a 92 paseo it has its stock 5e-fe in it, after driving it around a little, i absolutely fell in love with it. but just today something bad happened... i did my first oil change on it, heres how it went... drained oil from reservoir, removed old filter put on new filter, replaced nut on reservoir, filled up. after everything was done i fired up my car and a bit of smoke was coming out of exhaust, and out of the bottom of my engine. i looked and about a half a quart of oil drained out in about 2 mins time. i decided to take it a quarter mile, and it looked like i was lighting smoke bombs up and down the street. everybody says i blew my head. or warped it, or worn out piston rings etc... anyways im gonna do a swap on it does anybody know what (if any) other engines i can put in my baby, i need her back i refuse to sell it. any input is good input, thank you
Before you panic, make sure you're truly burning oil in the engine - or have other engine damage - before you start contemplating serious transplant surgery. You can generate enough smoke to simulate a WWII destroyer in battle conditions if you get oil on/in the exhaust - and it's easy to do if you get a bit sloppy in changing the oil, or don't put the filter on quite right. Start by figuring out where you're piddling oil from, and remedy that. Make sure you then clean the exhaust pipes so they're not oil-covered. Then, pop the cam cover, and see if you have plugged drainback holes - common enough on an old crock with sketchy maintenance history. Sludge build-up and age may signal a need for an overhaul - but before you do the 'worst case scenario', make sure of the nature of the problem.

If it does come to the worst case, a remanufactured or used engine identical to yours is by far the easiest option. Frankensteining a car together from parts not engineered to go together is not a job for a noob. Or, for that matter, anyone who merely wants cost-effective transportation - as opposed to someone who's looking for a mechanic graduate project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts