Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick note: I drive for a living and really need the car right now and im going crazy!

For the last few days my starter has barely been starting the car, Tested the alternator and it was fine so I went ahead and replaced the battery as it was old anyway As i was about to screw in the bracket the holds the battery in a neighbor walked up and started talking to me.... inevitably I touched the bracket to the positive terminal and it arced pretty badly. I got into the car after installing the battery and the car started with the same symptoms as before and I turned it off and tried to start it again and it wont start... replaced the starter and the starter relay after that and it will still not start. Checked all fuses under the hood for continuity with my tester and they're all fine I am at my wits end.

Thank you so much for any ideas or suggestions, I really need to get this car going again!

·
Various Toyotas
4,788 Posts
Do you still have the dash lights, radio, etc working when you have the key in the on position?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes everything comes on and works as usual when I turn the ignition

·
Various Toyotas
4,788 Posts
Since you have power, then I don't think it would be the alternator fuse, which I think is a 100 amp fuse that is bolted in place. I think this fuse allows power to the dash, but I'm not quite sure. Did you test this fuse with the others? This is it below with the yellow arrow:

To replace that fuse you have to partially remove the fuse box. I think it clips in place, but it might also have a bolt or two on the ends holding it down. Access the fuse bolts from underneath the fuse box. You'll need 8mm and/or 10mm to remove those bolts holding the fuse in place.

I realize you have power at the dash, but you may have partially fried your battery, so it's got enough juice to power the dash, but not turn the starter. I suggest having your battery tested just to make sure it's still OK.

I know you checked all the fuses, but I think you need to check again. See if you missed one.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,319 Posts
I went through a similar issue, but arced on the negative terminal. What I did was pulled the 20a fuses in the under hood fuse box. Found some that had signs of over heat, but we're verified to be ok. Swapped them out anyways. The fuses may test fine in the block, but visually check each of them.

Edit : Since it was the positive terminal, verify the starter wire from the battery isn't damaged.

Start by looking at the 30a main fuse. Then, inspect 15a AM2 fuse. These are on the other side of the ignition switch.

When these are verified, then look at the starter relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the starter relay and even bench tested the new one to verify it was good with my sons powerwheels battery. is it possibly a ground somewhere? Thanks again for the ideas guys! I tested all the fuses from the top with my tester.. the 100 amp fuse was not blown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can hear the starter relay click when I try to start the car but nothing is it possible there is a fusable link i blew somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,319 Posts
You didn't specify if this is an auto or manual transmission.

Ground is scattered throughout the starting and ignition circuit.

Ground between 30a fuse to battery.
Pin 5 of starter relay to starter
Pin 1 of starter relay to J2A connector/ground block
Pin 3 of switch side of starter cut relay to pin 1 of starter relay
Pin 4 of starter cut relay to pin 2 of starter cut relay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry about me guys, me in my infinite wisdom and impatience to get back to work forgot to plug in the little cable to the starter smh! i'm sorry for wasting your time and energy! thank you so much for being here to help me out and give me some ideas!!!! I went to remove the new starter to take in to be bench tested and seen it aye yi [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,319 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have one little problem, everytime I disconnect the negative and reconnect the security system blinks my dash light and my hazards and wont go away, is there a sequence I'm missing to opening the car the first time its connected?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,319 Posts
Are you referring to the hazard switch or just with the key fob?

Check to see if you pressed the hazard switch by accident.

Dash lights are normal unless you have a ce or S without the optitron cluster.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Might sound remedial, but is it manual or automatic? Do you have floor mats? Sometimes they dont let the switch fully engage

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im assuming your blinkers are constantly on when you re-connect your negative terminal?
I had something similar happen in an older Nissan I owned. I had somehow triggered the anti theft when I jump started the car.

On that car, it was as simple as disconnecting your positive and negative wires and touching them together to reset everything on the vehicle. Perhaps, it’s worth a shot?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts