Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put 4 new struts and strut mounts on my 98 corolla.. I bought all the mounts at the dealer $62 a piece and 4 new gabriel struts for $58 a piece.. All went well EXCEPT on my very last assembly I made one of the strut mount nuts ( the three that are on top) too tight and the bolt broke.. There was barely enough threads to get another nut on there but I dont think that will do.. Can I just replace that bolt or can that bolt not be removed? I dont feel like going back and paying another 60 bucks for another mount..Any ideas?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
yeah... next time get a torque wrench....

as for your current problem... take the mount out, drill the snapped bolt out, and then weld another bolt from underneath to the mount.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing is.. I used a torque wrench.. I asked a couple days ago on here what the torque specs are.. I got a pm saying 96ft/lbs... After a trip to the library.. It was supposed to be 62ft/lbs... No hard feelings.. You live and you learn..

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Oops, that would break it off :p

IIRC the bolts for the strut mounts are tensile strength of 8.8, which isnt very strong. however you can most likely salvage it the way I explained. Dont know though how much its gonna cost ya.

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
it's probably not that expensive... the only thing most ppl wouldn't be able to do themselves is the welding, and it's not that big a job...

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The bolt is most likely spot welded to the shock. Remove the broken bolt by drilling, grinding or whatever it takes. Then just install a regular bolt.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
toyomoho said:
The bolt is most likely spot welded to the shock. Remove the broken bolt by drilling, grinding or whatever it takes. Then just install a regular bolt.
you might be able to have a new one welded on in a shop, but they will charge you a few bucks... (in case you don't have the tools to fis it yourself.. like the grinder if you don't have one,, but you must have all the bolts. :eek:
you might take it back to the stor eand say it was defective, and broke when you tried to tighten it... of course the only thing they could say is no....

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Doesnt take a rocket scientist to check from a manual that it was overtorqued.

Also, just putting a regular bolt there wont work, there isnt space to tighten it.

The bolt is most likely spot welded to the shock.
Its usually pressed in. but drilling it out isnt that hard to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts