Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota makes all cars pussy...I mean, since the Supra up and left, there hasnt been anything enjoyable to drive...The Celica and MR2 dont even break the 200hp barrier, the only cars that do are family cars or SUVs...Dogde has the Viper, the Magnum now, shit even the Durango comes with a hemi...Chrysler has that ME 412 concept, but besides that they make the Crossfire, and the 300 is a beauty with a 340 ph 5.7 hemi..lets see Chevy has the Vette...Fords got the Cobra...Even Honda's s2000 got 240...and toyota dares to have a "racing development" division...gimme a break, lets see something that can do 0-60 in under 7 seconds and then we'll talk...till then i'll keep my '92

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it's purely a business decision. Keep in mind that cars like celica and 240sx did not sell well in the late 90's. So Toyota did what was necessary to generate profits. In this case it means heavy on the econoboxes and no cars that are more....... enjoyable.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Yeah it's just a matter of making money. They see what's making money for them, so they'll focus heavily on that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but i mean not ONE car?? how is it possible the Vette and the Cobra are still around, and cars like the M5 and SLs and shit just wont go away? face it, Toyota's engineering isnt up there with the rest of em to make a car of that caliber

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
StuckInNeutral said:
how is it possible the Vette and the Cobra are still around, and cars like the M5 and SLs and shit just wont go away? face it, Toyota's engineering isnt up there with the rest of em to make a car of that caliber
Your first statement has absolutely no relevance to your second. :disappoin

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
NA want big engine 1/4 mile cars.
There are much more Toyota model, option in Asia and Europe.
North American still want big engine huge car that doesn't handle. That's not what Toyota or Honda good at. NA don't sk how much HP, they ask how big is the engine first.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Toyota owns the market, even without a sports car. And if I'm not mistaken, the 350Z and RX-8 are not doing as well as predicted, so why would Toyota build a sports car? They make assloads of money building Camry's and Corolla's, and TRD is kept busy with NASCAR and Atlantics.

Originally posted by StuckInNeutral
how is it possible the Vette and the Cobra are still around, and cars like the M5 and SLs and shit just wont go away?
Vette's and Cobra's are still around because they have a history and Americans will always buy big V8 muscle cars, that's obvious.

The M5 and SL are around because anyone who can afford to buy a sports car of that caliber doesn't want to buy a Toyota, because they are cheap econo-cars, in their opinion.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
Siver_Cartel said:
Vette's and Cobra's are still around because they have a history and Americans will always buy big V8 muscle cars, that's obvious.
yup there isn't a good following behind lap cars as there are for american. ford will keep on bringing back their mustangs cobras and thunderbirds for god knows how long cause there is a loyalty to them aswell as fo vetts and dodges. alot of people who own a jap car are just driving it cause they got a good deal. i mean honestly how many cars do you see like your are actually being taken car of like a mustang is? most if not all the gen3 camry's i see around me are beat up, dirty,or have chrome rims(no matter what the size) i can take pics all day of trans ams and mustangs that are well kept.

toyota is just waiting for it's chance to wake up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
what other companys got 3 models(were still in 2004) of 180hp(well170 for the coro XRS) cars with 6 speed gearboxes?
None

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
StuckInNeutral said:
...Dogde has the Viper, the Magnum now, shit even the Durango comes with a hemi...Chrysler has that ME 412 concept, but besides that they make the Crossfire, and the 300 is a beauty with a 340 ph 5.7 hemi..
ok this is pissing me off...WHO CARES IF IT IS A HEMI!!!!!!!! HEMI DONT MEAN [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]!

holy my friends POS tempo has a HEMI.

*end vent*

·
Registered
66 Posts
StuckInNeutral said:
but i mean not ONE car?? how is it possible the Vette and the Cobra are still around, and cars like the M5 and SLs and shit just wont go away? face it, Toyota's engineering isnt up there with the rest of em to make a car of that caliber
who's still in F1.

who just pulled out?

oh that's right, ford just did.

tasty words huh :lol:

it has nothing to do with engineering. it's about marketing and doing what's best for the company in terms of sales thru all sectors of the market.

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
yup there isn't a good following behind lap cars as there are for american. ford will keep on bringing back their mustangs cobras and thunderbirds for god knows how long cause there is a loyalty to them aswell as fo vetts and dodges. alot of people who own a jap car are just driving it cause they got a good deal. i mean honestly how many cars do you see like your are actually being taken car of like a mustang is? most if not all the gen3 camry's i see around me are beat up, dirty,or have chrome rims(no matter what the size) i can take pics all day of trans ams and mustangs that are well kept.

toyota is just waiting for it's chance to wake up.
I disagree, I see a lot of hicks driving around there beat up camero's and "thunderbirds" that are rusted and are struggling to live. As far as camry's go, I suppose what the age of the owner is, and there mindset. Hell, I take good care of my camry and a lot of others do, as I paid for it and keep it clean. I suppose if someone who's older and just bought a cam and just wanted to use it as a transportation car, they may beat it up.

It's kind of a bad comparison, mustangs and cameros are in a whole different class compared to camrys and corollas.

Muscle Cars <-> Luxury\Transportation

You know what I mean?

And I might as jump on the bandwagon, :deadhorse :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Toyota seems to be on pace to be relatively close to the performance of a Honda as far as performance. It seems that they almost try to avoid competing as far as performance goes. Their goal is satisfactory performance and their clearest strength is in their interiors.
Personally, I like cars that perform well, but most peolpe don't care. That is why Toyota is the most valued company in the industry. Honda usually has satisfactory interiors and the best blend of performance and fuel economy. Nissan seems to put performance and exterior styling as their highest priority.
Toyota is riding high right now because customers are loyal because owning a Toyota was a satisfying experience. The accord actually is a better car though. It is faster and more fuel efficient. The leather isn't of as high of a quality, but cloth is basically cloth. They are both spacious.
To stay on top of the Japanese heap, Toyota doesn't have to sell the fastest car. There almost is no point in making a car fast unless you can tell people how fast it is or how many horses it has. And Toyota won't try to compete because I have never seen a Toyota advertisement that said thisw car goes this fast or has this many horses.
I am not saying we should give up hope. But performance sadly must come from somewhere else. It is hard being a Toyota fan and a performance fan.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Your answer lies here:

Regardless of what you think Toyota is making cars to make money. Sure they have other goals but in the end it is all about money. (Most companies try to make money :rolleyes: )

So here is the SUV, the type automobile that Americans love to buy. So the manufactuers have shifted to satisfy consumer demands.

Toyota still makes some 'sports' cars but they won't be here in North America because no one is buying them. So in the end there is no one to blame but yourselves!

Oh fact: less than 5% of cars purchased now are Manual Transmission. Again also choice of the consumer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts