Toyota Nation Forum banner

pllan to buy a Toyota sedan with a timing chain

833 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nokay 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new comer.

I learned from friends that passenger cars (sedan) with timing chains will be more trouble free. Is that true?
I plan to buy a Camry which some guys in this forum mentioned it is with a timing chain.
I doubt it.
Otherwise, maybe I have to buy a Corolla?

#2 ·
Only the newer Toyotas or the REALLY old Toyotas have timing chains. Just about everything in the 80s and 90s had a belt.

Chain driven Toyotas require less maitenance, but they aren't non-interference engines. So, it's a trade off.

- John

#3 ·
The new AZ-series 4-cylinders (2001+ RAV4, 2001+ Highlander, 2002+ Camry/Solara) use a timing chain so that's good news. But I have a diagram of one from an SAE technical white paper on the engine and it definitely doesn't look like a non-interference engine to me. The piston is practically touching the valves at the top of its stroke.

The MZ-series V6's still use a belt. A chain engine isn't more trouble free than a belt engine. It's more maintenance free. A timing belt change isn't a big deal on a 4-cylinder, but it can be a big operation on a V6. That's something to consider in the purchase of a car. Our 2002 Highlander will need a belt change eventually and I'm not looking forward to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.