Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"JESTER"
2003 camry le
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of having any problems when upgrading from the stock plug and wire set to a performance set?? any suggestions on wires and where i can get them? gen 5 2AZ..

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Which plugs and wires are you referring to? Spark plug wires?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Uh... wutchu talkin' bout, Willis? The 2AZ does have spark plug wires.

But there are no aftermarket wires made. Only plugs.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I was thinking that since the coil is on top of the plug, the wires are different in the sense that they are not regular spark plug wires like what I had on my 5S-FE where the coils were towards the rear of the engine.

·
"JESTER"
2003 camry le
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
white3ch0c0late said:
Which plugs and wires are you referring to? Spark plug wires?
what? no wires ??? coils?? huh?? educate me please....you mean to tell me there are none??....camaros were so much easier...

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
The 2az uses what it referred to as a COP(coil on plug) ignition system. The coils are mounted directly above the spark plug with just a boot going from the coil to plug, no wires.

·
"JESTER"
2003 camry le
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JSM1284 said:
The 2az uses what it referred to as a COP(coil on plug) ignition system. The coils are mounted directly above the spark plug with just a boot going from the coil to plug, no wires.

ok...thanx man!!.are there any upgrades for this?? besides changing the plugs??

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
cvjester said:
ok...thanx man!!.are there any upgrades for this?? besides changing the plugs??
Actually yes, there is an aftermarket company that makes a "Performance Wire set" where they give you a bracket that mounts at the rear of your engine then has wires from the coils to the plugs, but from my stand point as an ASE "Master Automotive Technician" I believe this will lessen performance, They claim to increase spark but highly unlikely

Nology HotWires are the most technologically advanced ignition wires available. HotWires create the most powerful spark possible. HotWires are engineered with a special built-in capacitor, exclusive only to HotWires. This revolutionary design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second point the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark 300 times more powerful. The result is faster, more complete combustion, and most importantly, MORE HORSEPOWER that's 100%. Smog Legal Available in 7 colors to compliment your under hood styling. Click the color thumbnail to the left to see each color. New Level Motorsports is one of the few dealers AUTHORIZED by Nology Make sure your warranty is valid and you're dealing with a Nology approved company. FREE SHIPPING (domestic ground) on Nology Hotwires for a limited time!

Availability: Usually ships the same business day.

011-584-551
$184.63
Color: RedBlackOrangeYellowBluePurpleSilver
Copyright New Level Motorsports 2005, 2006. All rights reserved.

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
Without SERIOUS performance mods an ignition system upgrade is a complete waste of time and money. Even then, I doubt there would be any gain worth mentioning over the factory system which is excellent.

Just keep good spark plugs in it and call it a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts