Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Sienna, Highlander
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Highlander Limited. I am looking to install an air spring kit on my hood to make it easier to open. Has anyone done this, and/or have any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,247 Posts
Did that on a Dodge truck years ago. We used one on each side. Ended up having to buy a second set because the 1st pair were too strong. I'm sure theres a way to determine which one's to use by now. See if there is a kit already for a similar vehicle regardless of make.

·
Registered
Sienna, Highlander
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given how often one opens the hood.. is it a project worth doing?
I am a senior citizen with arthritis, and it is difficult to hold the hood up with one hand and attach the lift strut with the other. There are kits out there, but I am looking for someone who has actually installed one. Back in the day, all American cars had springs that raised the hood. No struts to get in the way. I know some VW’s have struts, and my 2005 MB has them. I suspect that most auto makers eliminated hood lift mechanisms to save a few bucks - cheap bastards!

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,247 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't know how similar in weight the Tacoma hoods are, but I have seen some kits for Tacoma hoods that may be able to be modified for use on a HL. Again, I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the two. I don't believe the hood is as heavy or large as the Tundra, but someone with more knowledge can speak up and correct me. You also may want to ask on the Tacoma forum, there may be some there who owns a Tacoma now but formerly owned a 2nd gen HL. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
Sienna, Highlander
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your vehicle set up to accept them? You will need 2 brackets on the hood and 2 on the fenders.
and yes, hoods are HEAVY.
The kits out there have all the parts required for each vehicle application.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am a senior citizen with arthritis, and it is difficult to hold the hood up with one hand and attach the lift strut with the other. There are kits out there, but I am looking for someone who has actually installed one. Back in the day, all American cars had springs that raised the hood. No struts to get in the way. I know some VW’s have struts, and my 2005 MB has them. I suspect that most auto makers eliminated hood lift mechanisms to save a few bucks - cheap bastards!
You say that you have seen kits for this for our generation of HL's? Do you have some links? As I said, I only found ones for Tacoma's and the third gen HL's. I think I only ran across one for our generation of HL's and that looked iffy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,247 Posts
You say that you have seen kits for this for our generation of HL's? Do you have some links? As I said, I only found ones for Tacoma's and the third gen HL's. I think I only ran across one for our generation of HL's and that looked iffy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Highlander lmtd
111 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ya think they changed enough where this wouldn't work?
Like others, I have found the ones for the newer generation. If someone spoke up about what they did to get them to work, it would make deciding whether to try these an easier decision.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I believe that Lexus had the hood struts for their RX series cars. If so, I think it would be close to the Highlander in terms of the right amount of strength to open the hood. For example, on a 2009 RX350, the part number for the passenger side is 53440-49155. I assume there is something similar for the driver's side. I have no idea if the attachment would work on a Highlander.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts