Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Here is my question.. Do police transmit on any specific frequency, and is it detectible?

I mean, could you design a system that will warn you of all Erricson digital radio's emiiting on specific frequencies within a half mile range type thing? Is this possibe?

I know that Uniden has the beartracker..But thats only for non digital and it doesnt work all that well..I have one.

Anyone?

Mike

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not illegal in the US...I am sure it would be illegal, however I am sure it could not be detected..So I wouldent be worried about that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's not illegal to listen to public service frequencies, only to transmit. I used to have a setup in my old car but didn't want to mess with it anymore when I got this one.

Police frequencies in most major cities and counties are trunked meaning they switch from frequency to frequency automatically to make it harder for people to listen in. To solve this you will need a trunking scanner and a list of all the trunked frequencies they operate on which can be found on the web with a little persistance.

Fire/EMS/ATC are easier to listen to as most of them stay on one channel and in the big cities/counties can be pretty cool if they catch something big.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh wow...something I'm an expert on. :cool:

Law enforcement transmits on a variety of frequences, but the usually center in either the low VHF band, or the mid UHF bands (primarily around 400 or 800 Mhz).

It typically depends on the department's budget. CHP for instance, is a low budget VHF, non-trunked operation. They transmit and receive on the same freq depending on the area. Finding them is usually pretty easy. Just scan around 30Mhz. Same deal for small town operations. Awhile ago, there was a big scandel on how the CHP couldn't afford radar guns, so these guys have not entered the 21st century yet.

Metropolitan areas or large counties have mostly moved to UHF, and in most cases have added trunking (frequency hoping). You *CAN* still listen to these guys, but you need a trunking capable scanner and a list of freqs (usually around eight), that have to be entered IN ORDER for it to work. Go to your local Radio Shack and pick up a book called "Police Call", and it'll have all the freqs that will allow you to listen to trunked commo in your area. The book is invaluable.

Finally, you have BIG cities that have managed to cough up enough money to afford digital systems that are encrypted. There is no scanner on the civilian market that can hack these things, so don't bother. Los Angeles is one area where it's useless to try and pick up the cops. You'll just hear data-transfer noise. The LA Country Sheriff, on the other hand, is analog UHF trunked, so you can hear them fine with a regular trunking scanner.

As I said before, you can NOT hear digital commo. It would be like trying to decypher the data noise from your phoneline without a modem. The police radios are set up to encrypt and decrypt the signals as they go out and come in.

Also, there's a range of freqs between 200 and 400MHz that are locked out on most scanners. That's because that's military VHF and UHF. Don't worry about those, because the cops don't use anything there anyways (usless you want to listen to Military Police that is).

BTW, I used to manage an RS store, so if anybody has any questions on scanners, I'm the dude to ask. "^_^"

- John

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Timberland said:
Or you could just not drive like an idiot and not have to worry about police at all...
:werd:

I'm guilty of driving like an idiot on occassion though...

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Hm...My friend once had a couple of walkie talkies...And he said he could here police, bus and i think firetrucks...

Police channel 3
Bus channel 2
And firetruck channel 5

Is that true that they could have picked it up on their walkietalkies?

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
A woman at my work has a husband who is a volunteer fireman... one day she brought in their scanner and we just listened to the State Patrol all afternoon... there was some pretty funny stuff going on. One woman reported her car stolen... turned out she hadn't made her payments for the last three months and it got repo'd :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
The scanner in the newsroom at my newspaper is always on. I'll tell you one thing from that - There are a lot of 911 hang-ups around here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I work for DHS/CBP and our radios are encrypted. We can operate this radios in both encrypted and non-encrypted mode. With the encrypted mode the distance is shorter, but our radios are nationwide.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Timberland said:
Or you could just not drive like an idiot and not have to worry about police at all...
I somehow doubt that was the OP's concern, since the only time you really hear traffic stop commo is AFTER they pull you over. Trust me.

An in-car scanner is useful for other things like accident notification BEFORE it makes it on to the traffic reports. It sucks when your crusing down the freeway and a big rig just jack-knifed a couple of miles up, and the call goes out for a traffic brake.

- John

·
dark angel of death
131 Posts
hey kensuke since ur the radio shak guy what would be the best k band or xband scanner for my empty cigaret lighter. i mean i dont want to spend $300 for one either but just something cheep and that works what would u recomend?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts