Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I can't be picky because I don't know anything audio. Do you really think this is bottom of the line Polk? I didn't seem that way when I was searching. What do you suggest or anyone in that price range.

Also, when using the tacotunes.com speaker, I would need to buy 6x9's for the front and 6 1/2's for the rear right?

·
TN god
765 Posts
i just went on polks site, and they were the cheapest.. so i figured they were the bottom of the line.. also, some of the reviews arnt the best about them..

the taco tunes adapters, will allow you to run either a 6x9 or 6.5" up front.. i'd go with the 6.5" components.. not sure what you should go with. im also looking for speakers, and im also lost...LOL

but im going to sound deaden my doors and get eveything else first, then worry about the speakers.

·
Love this Tacoma!
Toyota Tacoma
623 Posts
I have the components up front and 3 ways in the back doors I believe. Sound quality was much improved over stock setup for sure. Are they the best not likely, but are they still good speakers yes they are. If you are an audiophile and have the money then shop around. Even Polks low end line is better than some others top end speakers. I just wanted good clean sound. A small amp on them and they will sound even better which I did not do yet. I went 6.5's all the way, that was the advice I was given for the music I listen to and such. Tossed in a headunit, a Polk amp, and 2 Polk MOMO subs and it sounds great now! The guy that recommended everything was right on the money and I got the sound I was wanting. They sound good with the stock head unit but much like most, they sounded better with the aftermarket unit.

·
;o{
18 Posts
I replaced the stockers in my 2005 Tacoma DblCab with Polk db6500 components in the front doors. No HU change or additional amp. After the Polks got 'broken in', they really put the stockers to shame!

The stock speakers lacked top end & the bass was muddy.
The Polks have clear top end & the bass is tight.

To add the Polks will require a bit of re-wiring in the doors. The stockers 'look' like a component system, but are not. There is no crossover in the stocker system and the tweeter & woofer are wired in series. Disconnect the tweeter & the woofer shuts off.

The stocker speaker wiring goes like this:
HU -> tweeter -> woofer.

To add the Polk db6500 system the in-door wiring will have to change to:
HU -> crossover -> tweeter, & crossover -> woofer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
polk db 6500

I have 2 pairs of polk for sale if anyone is interested. I had them installed in Chicago where I purchased but the installer ruined the installation and after complaining I got a feee upgrade. I have
a pair each of:

db570 5x7 for the rear panels of the tacoma
db6500 6.5 components with updated crossovers for front doors.

These speakers were fully functional in my truck, and I'll guarantee them to work.
I got a free upgrade to the momo seriers because of the installer screwing up my door panels, but the speakers were not damaged.

I only want $75 and a but for shipping, I have had them in a closet for months now and would like to sell them rather than trashem.

[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.