Toyota Nation Forum banner

Do you like the 2015 Camry design more or less than 12-14' Camry"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 2121 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey TN.
I'm not trying to start anything bad here or offend anyone and just want to see which age group like or dislike the 2015 more or less than the 2012-14 Camry.
The original thread http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/932842-saw-2015-today-still-feel-same-about.html has a poll too, but it covers only “If you like the 2015 Camry better” part of the TN and the above posted poll should cover both “like more" and "like less” groups and should give a pretty accurate breakdown on the age of the voters.
There are 5 "like more" and 5 "like less" age groups, so please read all the options and select a proper age group before voting.
Any opinions, comments and any related to Toyota and Camry discussions are welcome.
And please be polite and respectful to others, REMEMBER, moderators are watching and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Thanks.
:chug:

2012-14 LE/LE Hybrid

2012-14 XLE/XLE Hybrid

2012-14 SE/SE Hybrid

2015 LE/LE Hybrid

2015 XLE/XLE Hybrid

2015 SE/XSE/SE Hybrid

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1 Toyota designers got lazy and took the inspiration from a catfish and invested no ore than 10 min. into the rest of the car :).

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm on the auto guide app and don't have a poll showing up 😕

I'll try and get on my computer soon and vote on here. I've let it be known plenty of times that I like the 12-14.5 better lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What was Toyota thinking? Do they really want a Camry to have the look of a huge front grill ala Mitsubishi? Late model Lexes' ar just about as bad but not quite. If there was a good reason, like better engine cooling or whatever it might make sense but this is Hideous. I was going to trade my 2012 SE for a 2015 but not now. Looking seriously at either a Passat or Mazda 6.
Why would a manufacturer, of the most sold car for the past umpteen years, decide that its core constituency, read "The over 30 crowd ", be willing to risk that large buyer group's loyalty and purchasing power to "target" a younger group, that is looking for an even sportier image than any stylized Camry could ever give.
Go figure !!! Toyota are you listening ?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
^The 2015 Camry supposed to appeal to much younger buyers, but considering that the younger people don't buy family sedans and in many cases simply can not afford a brand new 25K car, Toyota may lose a lot of potential buyers just cuz of the 2015's design.

I think 12-14 exterior didn't need much to be the best looking car in the segment and a few minor improvements like nicer wheels, a bit reshaped HID/LED headlights and fogs, more aggressive bumpers, reshaped/less chrome LE and XLE grills would be more than enough, but I would concentrate the attention on the interior improvements like better materials for the door cards and center tunnel, redesigned stereo/HVAC unit, quieter interior, maybe a few more interior color combinations and more attention to the storage options like bigger glove box, cup holders/tunnel draw with lids and a frigging shelf in the armrest storage that I had on Gen 6, but for some reason it was dropped on Gen 7 and I had to mickey moused it myself so I have a place for the little things.
IMHO that would cost much less than the 2015's new sheet metal, but would make much bigger difference and influence on the buyers than the redesigned 2015 exterior with very minimal interior improvements.

·
straight cash homie
18,699 Posts
^The 2015 Camry supposed to appeal to much younger buyers, but considering that the younger people don't buy family sedans and in many cases simply can not afford a brand new 25K car, Toyota may lose a lot of potential buyers just cuz of the 2015's design.
I don't think its a "younger people" issue per se...the competition has stepped it up and the Camry was starting to lose a few more buyers. Accord is still hot on the tails and a few others like the Fusion have increased their sales year after year. Those incentives have helped keep them at the top, because there's never been a great time to get a great deal for a Camry.

For those not in the know:
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130701/RETAIL01/307019977#ixzz2XnFRwwWZ

Will Toyota lose potential buyers with the 2015 refresh? Who knows...let the sales figures speak for themselves. I'm sure the Camry will still be a top seller.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Camry's MSRP is the highest one in class and starts from $22425 for 2014 Camry (according to cars.com) and from $22970 for 2015 Camry.
2014 Accord's MSRP is $22105, Fusion's from $21910, Sonata's - $21150, Optima's -$21650, Passat's - $21120, Mazda 6- $21190 and despite that the Camry has (or actually had, since those $$$ are gone) the highest intensives in the class, at least in DFW, since the begging of the 2012 you can get an Accord, Altima, Fusion etc. for less than a Camry and I bet that you can't get a Camry for thousands and thousands less in other areas and even if in some parts of the US the Camry is cheaper than its competitors the difference will be a few 100's at the most.
On top of that the Sonata's, Fusion's and Altima's fleet sales is probably is as high or even higher than the Camry's, but they still behind in total sales year after year.
All these intensives, rebates, special rates sure help to keep the Camry on top, cuz without them it would be a well overpriced car, but since anyone can get a Camry for the same or just a bit higher price than any other car in the class, a lot of buyers prefer to pay a few 100's extra for a comfy ride and a trouble free ownership experience despite Camry's so-so appearance and "old fart grocery getter" reputation.

·
straight cash homie
18,699 Posts
Camry's MSRP is the highest one in class and starts from $22425 for 2014 Camry (according to cars.com) and from $22970 for 2015 Camry.

2014 Accord's MSRP is $22105, Fusion's from $21910, Sonata's - $21150, Optima's -$21650, Passat's - $21120, Mazda 6- $21190 and despite that the Camry has (or actually had, since those $$$ are gone) the highest intensives in the class, at least in DFW, since the begging of the 2012 you can get an Accord, Altima, Fusion etc. for less than a Camry and I bet that you can't get a Camry for thousands and thousands less in other areas and even if in some parts of the US the Camry is cheaper than its competitors the difference will be a few 100's at the most.

On top of that the Sonata's, Fusion's and Altima's fleet sales is probably is as high or even higher than the Camry's, but they still behind in total sales year after year.
Fleet sales really has little to do with the topic on hand...why you throw a red herring is puzzling as it is irrelevant and futile. You are always defensive about the Camry and resort to snubbing the competition when there's nothing inherently wrong with them because they are competing for the same thing as the Camry: Buyers.

ATPs have shown that Camry's has dropped. From reading this board, I know that there are still many Toyota dealers that are stingy on the discounts...especially those here in California. It could explain the sales slide in September, may be not. Buyer demeanor may also be a factor, or perhaps Honda's Helpful Guys ads annoyed so many people to go to their dealer and buy up the remaining 2014 Accords. Or perhaps many of the better deals seem to come from areas where Camry isn't the best seller (likely truck country). Anyway, YMMV.

·
straight cash homie
18,699 Posts
All these intensives, rebates, special rates sure help to keep the Camry on top, cuz without them it would be a well overpriced car, but since anyone can get a Camry for the same or just a bit higher price than any other car in the class, a lot of buyers prefer to pay a few 100's extra for a comfy ride and a trouble free ownership experience despite Camry's so-so appearance and "old fart grocery getter" reputation.
There's an equal amount of buyers that like what you like, but also an increasing amount of those who want style and don't want the "old far grocery getter" rep. I get that and that's fine. But don't discount other buyers who want something else, and are more open to try new things. I trust that Toyota knows this and did what they did to make the 2015 more appealing to them, despite your acrimony for it.

I actually like the SE model, and also disappointed that they did away with the SE's kit and style for 2015, but it was a business decision and Toyota did what they had to.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's an equal amount of buyers that like what you like, but also an increasing amount of those who want style and don't want the "old far grocery getter" rep. I get that and that's fine. But don't discount other buyers who want something else, and are more open to try new things. I trust that Toyota knows this and did what they did to make the 2015 more appealing to them, despite your acrimony for it.

I actually like the SE model, and also disappointed that they did away with the SE's kit and style for 2015, but it was a business decision and Toyota did what they had to.
I don't discount anyone and was always saying that in order to cover the most of the age groups and different tastes, Toyota needs to bring another sportier line into the family segment or resurrect the Solara or at least distant SE/XSE as far as possible from the LE/XLE.
IMHO the Gen 7 is not bland and has more style than any other car in the class except the Optima and "old fart grocery getter" reputation and my neighbors opinion doesn't bother me at all; my "bottom of the line" LE 6AT drives sportier than 2.4 CVT Accord (aka "Japanese BMW" :)) or 2.5 Fusion SE and almost as comfy and roomy as a Passat.
I've spend a lot of time researching and comparing and voted for the Camry with my hard earned money and couldn't care less about opinion of some car magazine reviewer that got a Camry for a 24 hrs test or "hot chick" neighbor that driving a 10 years "hit everything but the lottery" BMW. :)
No matter how sporty, modern and stylish Camry going to look and what kind of options offer and how cheap or expensive it going to be, some people will always want something different and will want to try something else and I see nothing bad about it.
I kind of like the 15's SE front end, but IMO it does not play well with its side panels and especially tail part, but LE's/XLE's open mouth is ...:facepalm: and considering very limited changes inside and no changes under the hood, I simply prefer the 12-14's styling, but I never meant to bush the 2015's and more than sure that it's going to sell.

·
straight cash homie
18,699 Posts
I don't discount anyone and was always saying that in order to cover the most of the age groups and different tastes, Toyota needs to bring another sportier line into the family segment or resurrect the Solara or at least distant SE/XSE as far as possible from the LE/XLE.
They did what they could, and most here appreciate that an SE model exists...otherwise, perhaps some of us would be put to sleep by the other model grades, but that's my opinion.
IMHO the Gen 7 is not bland and has more style than any other car in the class except the Optima and "old fart grocery getter" reputation and my neighbors opinion doesn't bother me at all; my "bottom of the line" LE 6AT drives sportier than 2.4 CVT Accord (aka "Japanese BMW" :)) or 2.5 Fusion SE and almost as comfy and roomy as a Passat.
We are glad that you enjoy your LE and will be driving it until its wheels fall off:clap:...

But I look at it from the industry POV. Toyota has being offering more and more incentives with each successive generation to keep buyers in the fold. Historically, Toyota didn't have to do that in the past, but that was when the only serious competition was the Accord, and everyone else was behind the game. My Toyota sales friends tell me that 10-15 years ago, these incentives were unheard of and that buyers didn't have much wiggle room to negotiate.

And the Accord has always been known to be "sportier" than the Camry. >:D

I've spend a lot of time researching and comparing and voted for the Camry with my hard earned money and couldn't care less about opinion of some car magazine reviewer that got a Camry for a 24 hrs test or "hot chick" neighbor that driving a 10 years "hit everything but the lottery" BMW. :)

No matter how sporty, modern and stylish Camry going to look and what kind of options offer and how cheap or expensive it going to be, some people will always want something different and will want to try something else and I see nothing bad about it.
You're looking at it from your POV, and you did your due diligence, but that's just you, because it works for you and checked the boxes for your needs. No need to defend your choice, because we all know the Camry will remain popular with many, many buyers.

The question remains, will Camry keep fending off the Accord every year? Will the Fusion gain more momentum? Trends are trends, which companies must follow, and Toyota had to follow one...

I kind of like the 15's SE front end, but IMO it does not play well with its side panels and especially tail part, but LE's/XLE's open mouth is ...:facepalm: and considering very limited changes inside and no changes under the hood, I simply prefer the 12-14's styling, but I never meant to bush the 2015's and more than sure that it's going to sell.
I do too, at least the SE model...I honestly have no opinion of the other grades, because the SE one is the only one I'd even consider owning myself. After all, I drive a Corolla XRS, and as the LE or XLE grades did not interest me at all when I bought.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
We are glad that you enjoy your LE and will be driving it until its wheels fall off:clap:...
hell no; I'll be looking to replace it at around 100K and/or 7-8 years old and if everything will go according to the plan I'm planning to get a new set of wheels in 2018-19. :)
And the Accord has always been known to be "sportier" than the Camry.
This is true only about pre 2012 Camry and pre 2008 Accord. Try a new accord with CVT and see what you think.
The Accord with 6MT is a different story, but the CVT is just boring to death and will put you asleep unless your stereo is blasting or there is a hot girl in your passenger seat... :)

·
Registered
968 Posts

I think 12-14 exterior didn't need much to be the best looking car in the segment and a few minor improvements like nicer wheels, a bit reshaped HID/LED headlights and fogs, more aggressive bumpers, reshaped/less chrome LE and XLE grills would be more than enough, but I would concentrate the attention on the interior improvements like better materials for the door cards and center tunnel, redesigned stereo/HVAC unit, quieter interior, maybe a few more interior color combinations and more attention to the storage options like bigger glove box, cup holders/tunnel draw with lids and a frigging shelf in the armrest storage that I had on Gen 6, but for some reason it was dropped on Gen 7 and I had to mickey moused it myself so I have a place for the little things.
IMHO that would cost much less than the 2015's new sheet metal, but would make much bigger difference and influence on the buyers than the redesigned 2015 exterior with very minimal interior improvements.
Looks like I'm the exception haha. I had a budget of 24k and I just wanted something with more power than a compact car, reliable, and had decent gas mileage (the camry fit that criteria quite well) Ey I'm neutral on the 2015 Camry. I guess I like some parts of it like the front grill, the rims, and the upgraded gauges. The back is w/e. Not happy they got rid of fog lights though. But overall I'm happy with my 2014 still.

1 - 20 of 2121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
147 Participants
hardtopte72
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing