Toyota Nation Forum banner

Do you like the 2015 Camry design more or less than 12-14' Camry"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 2121 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Fleet sales really has little to do with the topic on hand...why you throw a red herring is puzzling as it is irrelevant and futile. You are always defensive about the Camry and resort to snubbing the competition when there's nothing inherently wrong with them because they are competing for the same thing as the Camry: Buyers.
So my arguments are not good enough and irrelevant? You said that
a few others like the Fusion have increased their sales year after year.
and I've replied that a huge potion of the Fusion's (and Sonata's) sales is fleet and their intensives are "sky high" too and IMHO it is directly related to the annual sales figures and I'm not sure why do think that the Camry sells only cuz of
Those incentives

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just voted as well...in this poll and with my wallet. I think the 2015 is hit and miss at best...but overall its a slight improvement over the 2012-2014.5 models. I had the opportunity to check out several models last weekend and here's my assessment. I just turned 29, just purchased a new midsize sedan as well. I didn't drive any of these models i just spent some extensive time in them at various dealerships.

Exterior Styling:

LE/XLE models are an improvement, SE and XSE models not so much. The SE model in particular doesn't even look sporty anymore. The alloys are less distinct, the car overall just looks less distinctive (I liked the body kit on SE models) and the taillights need to be LEDs. They overall shape of the rear end reminds me of the old Lexus ES from few generations back. I actually prefer the updated front end of the LE/XLE models, its a bit more distinctive and tastefully done than the SE/XSE trims.

As I mentioned, I'm no fan of the new taillights, I didn't particularly like the previous taillights either but the new ones look less distinctive and would look much nicer if they were LEDs. XLE/XSE models should at least have LED tails. The "faux" side pillar actually doesn't bother and works to really break up the same ole roof line the Camry has had since MY2002.

Alloy wheel choices are rather generic, only the XSE's 18s catch my eye...Mazda, Honda and Ford have nicer wheel designs overall.

Toyota ought to make alloys standard on the LE models...the new wheel covers are nicer, but still look terrible compared to the Accord LX's standard alloys.

Interior:

Most of the interior materials have been updated, thankfully, as I found the current Camry's interior to be a notch are two below the Accord, Fusion, new Sonata and Optima. I'm glad that the XLE is now available with black leather (I think that might be a first) and most of the audio/climate controls have been updated for better style and more quality feel. However, the Camry still is not class-leading from an interior materials standpoint.

Door panels still have hard, brittle plastics, the lower dashboard still feels hard and cheap and there are other areas of apparent cost cutting...for example, the rear headrest still are nonadjustable.

The LE's cloth is a slight improvement, SE models feel like a downgrade compared to 2012-2014.5. I do however like the updated leather upholstery and leather/suede combos in the XLE/XSE trims.

I'm a bit surprised that XLE/XSE models don't offer memory seats: Accord, Fusion, Sonata and Optima do.

One area where Toyota seems to have Honda, Ford and others beat is in the infotainment systems.Ford was supposed to offer wireless charging on the Fusion, but it never happened, the Entune system works flawlessly and is less obstructive and easier to use than HondaLink, Sync and Mazda's tiny system. I really liked most of the functionality.

Overall, I'd say the Camry is a decent improvement, but for me the improvements don't move the needle enough for me.

For all the money Toyota invested in the Camry's exterior, I think they could have given the car just a simple updated front end, nicer taillights at the back with further improved interior quality and more interior content (better plastics, less cost cutting, etc)
I don't think the average buyer is gonna care about a more "stylish" Camry per se, i think most buyers looking at the Camry expect great value, good room, reliability and resale, but style? Not really and to my eye the updated "style" still can't touch the Mazda6, Ford Fusion, Kia Optima or even the Accord Sport. The XSE models move the needle a bit, but everything else just blends into the crowd.

I ended up with a Fusion...and so far I love it. Picked up the elusive 1.6t/6spd manual model, loaded. If I'm going to go sporty, I'd lean more toward the Fusion (which I bought) or the Mazda6...if I wanted luxurious I'd be more inclined to choose the Accord or Optima.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So far it appears 1/3 like the 2015 and 2/3 like the 2012-2014.5.

Hard to know if there is a bias in the results though due to being on the Gen 7 forum but appears more like the old style.

Oh well. Can't wait for mine to arrive in a week or 2.

·
Registered
943 Posts
So far it appears 1/3 like the 2015 and 2/3 like the 2012-2014.5.

Hard to know if there is a bias in the results though due to being on the Gen 7 forum but appears more like the old style.

Oh well. Can't wait for mine to arrive in a week or 2.

Hey if you like it that's all that matters 👍

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
haha...u actually like accord lx rims?
Yea, they are ... ugly... They are alloy wheels vs plastic hubcaps and it's definitely an upgrade, but even if you don't like them you still have to pay $600-700 for them just cuz there is no other choice even on a bottom of the line LX and that's why I see nothing wrong with the LE that is offered with hubs and alloys as an option.
:)

·
straight cash homie
18,701 Posts
Yea, they are ... ugly... They are alloy wheels vs plastic hubcaps and it's definitely an upgrade, but even if you don't like them you still have to pay $600-700 for them just cuz there is no other choice even on a bottom of the line LX and that's why I see nothing wrong with the LE that is offered with hubs and alloys as an option.
:)
Most buyers don't really care...from what I've seen, Toyota regions won't spec their Camry LEs (model 2532) with the alloys. I think I've seen the alloys mostly on rental LEs, as some fleet customers ordered theirs with the AW option.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Most buyers don't really care...from what I've seen, Toyota regions won't spec their Camry LEs (model 2532) with the alloys. I think I've seen the alloys mostly on rental LEs, as some fleet customers ordered theirs with the AW option.
A very few base LE's come with wheels, but every Camry LE with leather and roof I've seen on the dealer lots had a set of 16" alloys.
I really like these "East Cost" optional 17" wheels:

IMO these are the best looking wheels Toyota ever produced.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm not totally hating it.

I do think the SE/XSE front end looks way better than the LE.

Shame is, the Corolla is way better looking than either, IMO. The design people have it in them...they just couldn't make the bigger money car look too much like the smaller money car, I guess.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I do, actually. It's the Accord EX (EX-L and Touring) wheels that I cannot stand.

I kinda like the size and design of the ex wheels but it looks like they rattle canned them I haven't really saw one yet that had any kind of clear coat on the wheels that I can tell

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Camry's hub caps are damn ugly. I would rather have the Accord LX's rims than ugly and cheap hub caps! I would never buy a car for $24,000 that came with hub caps. Never!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No one around here paid 24K for the LE. You can get a LE for 19.500-21K and get a set of the nice practically new OEM (or aftermarket) wheels/tires for $500-700-1K and sell your 16" tires/steelies/nubs for $350-500.

41 - 60 of 2121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
147 Participants
hardtopte72
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing