Toyota Nation Forum banner

Do you like the 2015 Camry design more or less than 12-14' Camry"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 2121 Posts

·
2016 Corolla S Premium
653 Posts
Not good! Sales may plummet if potential buyers see the major redesign of the 7th Gen Camry as people here taking the poll do.

·
Trd racer
996 Posts
Not good! Sales may plummet if potential buyers see the major redesign of the 7th Gen Camry as people here taking the poll do.

Toyota will learn the hard way on this. Taking a very old platform and calling it "new" ideally isn't what most buyers have in mind. What Toyota did here was like the Highlander for 2011 and that was a refresh in term's of exterior styling on the front clip and small revisions on trim detail beyond that same Highlander Now 2014 totally different Suv. The 2015 even shares the same roof in fact that's the only carry over item beyond the reworked front and rear clip. Sadly I don't think Toyota gets this market they sell the same old crap and expect folks to pay more into the cost of admission sorry i'm not taken for a fool but people buy them like Iphones but that's another topic after i updated to the plus lol :grin:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Toyota did the something with the Tundra. When I saw the new Tundra I sold my 2011 F150 and bought the 2013 before they changed it in 2014. I don't like the 2014 Tundra for several reasons. So luckly I have that and the 2013 Camry as my DD, the two body styles I prefer.

If Toyota was going after a market audience of 18-25 they would be killing it but I doubt that is the case. Of course these numbers will change in six months when dozens of new Camry owners join the forum and start voting.

However what does seem clear is most Camry owners or those on the forum voting currently prefer the gen 7 to the gen 7.5

I am hoping for big things for the gen 8's in a couple years (I'm guessing) but I think the GS350 will take me away on my next DD purchase.

·
Ken
410 Posts
Keep in mind that the '15 is a "refresh" of the current generation. The '17 model should be the next complete redesign for the next generation and that one should carry all the newest engines, transmissions and hybrid technology. So if you don't like the '15 wait a couple of years for the '17.
About the design of the '15 - I saw it at the dealer a couple of days ago and found it really nice. You really don't see that big grill unless you are away from the car and the rest of it is nice. But we won't be ready to buy until '18, so hope they do a good job on the next generation hybrid!

·
2016 Corolla S Premium
653 Posts
I have no real problem with the looks of the LE/XLE front end, but that front end on the SE/XSE is like the Toyota designers are hoping to get the attention of teenagers to like a 4-door mid-size family sedan in hopes they'll like mount a big turbo cooler behind the front grill and zoom up and down the road playing with the steering wheel paddle shifter. I find that strange for a 4-door family sedan...

·
Registered
968 Posts

After seeing one in real life today, I don't think it looks that bad. You can see my Camry front end in the background of the first pic lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
Question: All the online reviews say the 2015 Cam has a totally new interior. Most posters on this forum say there are very few interior changes. What am I missing?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Question: All the online reviews say the 2015 Cam has a totally new interior. Most posters on this forum say there are very few interior changes. What am I missing?
It appears the design is very similar. So when just glancing at it, it would appear to be very few changes.

However, a lot of the details have changed. Better stitching, better materials, no clock above the screen, bigger knobs/buttons for controlling entertainment/climate, more insulation in doors, new leather/cloth appearance..

Not as drastic a change as the exterior but an evolution of what was there.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Overall the 2015 Camry has a new interior, but it is not as different vs 2012 as let say 2007-2011 vs 2012-2014 interior. The dash is still the same. The gauges on LE/SE are still the same and XLE/XSE got new cluster. The steering wheel looks very much like the 2012-14.5 SE steering, but has redesigned controls. The stereo/HVAC unit has been redesigned, same as the center tunnel cover, but the center storage is the same. The door cards have new switch bezels, but overall layout and design is the same. The seats looks the same, but have different fabric on LE and pretty much the same leatherette on the SE and I can't say that the interior materials are much different from what they've been using on 2012-2014.5. The 2015's interior definitely looks like a restyle, but I just can't call it a totally new interior.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

After seeing one in real life today, I don't think it looks that bad. You can see my Camry front end in the background of the first pic lol
The 15's front end is ok (I still prefer/like the 12-14.5's front much more), but the rear... It looks like an evolution of the 2007-11 rear end mixed with Hyundai elements and looks too girly, dated and heavy vs 12-14.5's rear and the fake C-pillar windows simply have no excuse and IMO the worst element they ever used on any Toyota cars.

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
Took my TCH into the dealer yesterday for my 10K service. They had a BP XSE in the showroom, I gotta say, it looks really nice, comfy seats too. The front end is really starting to grow on me.

·
2013 XLE Hybrid
61 Posts
i would say the '15 Camry represents refinement. Granted, the vehicle has not changed much. But why change a good thing? The front grille looks to me to be from the Lexus styling studio. It is again refinement, not gross change. Just refinement for the better.
The rear tail lamps look refined with a bit of Hyundai flair (I even hate to say that) and Corolla upscale style from it's 2014 Model Year.
The car I looked at was at the dealership, under the lights and polished up to a "T". The new color Cosmic Ray Silver looked great. Very nice but not me. The interior is gray leather is great but I wonder how it would hold out with a family? This was the XSE version with a V6.

Do I like it?Yes I do. Toyota removed the crab claw tail lamps which looks much better to me. The front looks Lexus like, why not look like one of the family? Will it sell? Only America knows that answer. Colors and fabric do not make any difference to me as long as the car drives well. Can it sit on an Interstate for hours without overheating? Can it drive on an Interstate for twenty-four hours without making my back hurt worse than it does? Now, that would be a true test drive. I have a '13 TCH and there is no problem with this doing the above. Can this one do the same?

·
Account canceled
481 Posts
Hi Folks,

As of this writing, 36% prefer the 2015...

This is an interesting poll, but I doubt it holds much significance in the big picture. First, it polls people who already have a bias toward the 7th-gen design else they wouldn't have bought it, and they wouldn't be regular readers here. Second, one can bet their bottom dollar that Toyota researched the "look" of the new car to the nth degree before taking the plunge to change it the way they did. They most assuredly culled focus groups representing the demographic of their target market in this process.

Given this certainty, the fact that the majority here favor the 7th-gen style is probably more a reflection of the divergence between the buying public at large, and the restricted readership here, than it is a general statement of the car's cosmetic appeal.

As for myself, I'm very happy with our 7th-gen Camry, but not for its looks. In fact, I've never seen any generation of Camry that much appealed to me from its outward appearance, and that includes the 2015 redesign. Speaking about the 2015 redesign in particular, I like the flowing lines of the front end and the communization of appearance with Lexus. I don't like the fact that the car, in the words of a GM executive some years ago who said it so well, "Looks like an angry kitchen appliance." From the rear of the car, the rounder, more "bloated" appearance is certainly different but neither better nor worse than the 7th-gen appearance in my opinion. I think it's blander since it's drifted closer to the center of the auto styling universe. In short, the front of the car got meaner, and the rear went to sleep.

But if this poll isn't very representative of the car buying public, then my isolated opinion is probably even less so.

Even so, having said all this, I'd like to repeat that this is still an interesting poll...

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
197 Posts
No change in my opinion after sitting in one

I was at the dealer yesterday to get wiper refills and saw a 2015 LE on the floor. I own a 2012 XLE I4 with now 45,000 miles so have spent a LOT of time in the car in 31 months ... and still am very satisfied with it. I do like the rear end of the 2015 but the billy bass front end does not appeal - at all - from someone a few years past 50. I had a time limit so could only sit in the car for less than a minute, but the interior changes are very minimal, plus I was in a cloth LE vs my XLE leather that is actually very comfortable at 6'4". I plan to drive my 2012 for at least 10 more years and trade my SUV in about 5 so they'll be at a gen 9 Camry before I care about another, but do hope this one sells well since I'm quite satisfied with my 2012.

61 - 80 of 2121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
147 Participants
hardtopte72
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing