Toyota Nation Forum banner

Would a Gen 2 Camry Coupe be a good project?

• Oh GOD! It's UGLY!

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Coooool Dude!

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I'm going to steal your Idea and make my own.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • To late, I've already seen it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is something I've been thinking of doing to a gen 2 camry. It would retain the original wheelbase and keep the trunk space (more or less) but there wouldn't be a back seat anymore.

·
422 Posts
heh, I made an image of one too a while back, never shared it though. I think i'd want to shorten teh wheelbase and make the doors longer.

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Is this what you had in mind? I suppose something in between might be a better option. Since a wheelbase that short might not be the best way to go. Not only that but the back end looks a bit too big for a car that short.

Now here is a kind of cross between the first 2 that looks a little better balanced.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
No, I wouldn't recomend you do it. I dont think its worth all the work. Just take the money and put it towards a Miata.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
I think it looks pretty cool. The car would haul also because you would be removing several hundred pounds of metal.

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but, a Miata isn't a Toyota, and it dosn't have a V6 as an option if I remember correctly. But maybe a Supra might be an alternative..... Hmmmmmmm

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
^Im not trying to say to go to another company or that its a bad idea. I mean, its great that your even thinking about attempting something like this. Im just saying that I dont think that its worth all the time, money, and effort and it would be easier, better, less expensive and more rewarding to buy a Sport Coupe that actually came that way.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Ummm, you could but I wouldn't. If you did it right, it would just end up looking like the 90-93 Accord Coupe with is fine but isn't anything revolutionary and wouldn't really look better than the Sedan counterpart, just different.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Why not if you have spare time but I personally wonder :

1) Is it really beautiful ?
2) Is it worth the money ?
3) Is it worth the time spent ?

·
Current title:
253 Posts
yah for real...i dun see a point but if you got the money, time and know-how why not?

im positive ud be ther first and we'd all be wanting to see the finished product ;)

but that includes modifying the drive train, chassis and extensive body work.

well just make sure if u do it u know what ur doing on the chassis...god forbid the front and rear seperate during driving :lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
no dude its ugly maybe if you did alot of other exterior mods it woud work and make the top more curve but man thats ugly

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
i think it would look better and it would be easier if you di it like this:

the front door stays the same the rear door gets shortened and it looks really nice. btw i did this with paint;)

oh and the drive tran doesn't need t be messed with only the fuel lin and brake lines will be shortened (can be done with preassure fittings) and the wiring for the rear doors will be removed and the doors welded shut and have a window made for those parts. make sure when you have it done they or you weld the entire frame together and put steel tubing inside for reinforcement, a roll cage would be nice too.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
The rear end looks disgusting.

Try doing this:

4 Windows, 2 Doors, extended wheel base (oem like), long trunk (not the short one)

You can't have a rear end that short, it just looks disgusting. Any car designer will tell you that.

What I mean is keep everything the same as it is on the sedan, but like blend two doors off.

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Feel the LOVE!

I'm suprised at how much you all seem to dislike the Idea. There's a 87 Parts car I'm think'n of puttin the torch to... Maybe I'll just chop off the back end. After all who needs a trunk?

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
wow, you just turned a camry into a dodge colt....

DONT DO IT, you obviously have no eye for car design, although your photoshop skills are decent.

a camry hatch, ewwww

the 2 door camry is a decent idea, but it does look too much like a Mk1 mr2. and a FWD mr2 is a really bad idea.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
es250nut said:
Yeah, but, a Miata isn't a Toyota, and it dosn't have a V6 as an option if I remember correctly.
Yeah but it does have a 5L Ford small block V8 possibility :D

Do it! If you're bored enough and you got the skils. I like the hatch looking one the best... altho it wouldnt be the first 4dr Camry hatch back.

1985 Toyota Camry Liftback DX 1.8_ (2.0)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts