Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK so I did it. I bought a used front mount on eBay and used some 3m window polyurethane and filled it. Here's the out come.


I can definitely feel a big difference in the clutch engagement. I do feel a bit of vibration when the a/c is on and the idle is low, but it's barely noticeable... The throttle response it a tad better...

All in all for a total of 40 for the mount and 12 for the tube of urethane I'd say it's a good mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
OK so I did it. I bought a used front mount on eBay and used some 3m window polyurethane and filled it. Here's the out come.


I can definitely feel a big difference in the clutch engagement. I do feel a bit of vibration when the a/c is on and the idle is low, but it's barely noticeable... The throttle response it a tad better...

All in all for a total of 40 for the mount and 12 for the tube of urethane I'd say it's a good mod.
I'm going to be doing this as soon as my mounts come in. How did you jack up the engine? I'm guessing a block of wood and the oil pan?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to be doing this as soon as my mounts come in. How did you jack up the engine? I'm guessing a block of wood and the oil pan?
Believe it or not I did nothing....The engine stayed right in place.

I had the jack supporting the engine at the beginning but the POS duralast crept down and ended up not supporting at all...but everything went right in with support.

I did have it in 1st gear with E brake on so that may have helped too! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Believe it or not I did nothing....The engine stayed right in place.

I had the jack supporting the engine at the beginning but the POS duralast crept down and ended up not supporting at all...but everything went right in with support.

I did have it in 1st gear with E brake on so that may have helped too! :thumbsup:
That's interesting. I'll probably use a jack with blocks of wood anyways though. Excited to see what this does for me. I'm replacing the front and the rear motor mounts.
 

·
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
09 Avalon XL
Joined
·
820 Posts
I put solid engine mounts on my 1968 Camaro with a 327/4BBl/TH350

Needless to say, they came off in about a week. I was 18 at the time, and got tired of replacing the driver's side engine mount every 4-5 months. This design was actually very dangerous. The throttle linkage was a bellcrank (no cable) and the engine mounts were just two pieces of steel with rubber sandwiched between them. When the engine mount would break, the driver's side of the engine would raise on acceleration, and the throttle linkage would get jammed between the engine and firewall, holding the throttle open so if you let off the gas in a panic, the engine would still be racing. This caused quite a few accidents (all GM products that used a bellcrank throttle linkage had this problem) so GM's "fix" was to anchor the engine to the upper control arm shaft using aircraft cable in a loop. It kept the engine from raising when the mount broke, so the throttle linkage would not jam.



Now mounts are designed like yours, which fixes the problem the right way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put solid engine mounts on my 1968 Camaro with a 327/4BBl/TH350

Needless to say, they came off in about a week. I was 18 at the time, and got tired of replacing the driver's side engine mount every 4-5 months. This design was actually very dangerous. The throttle linkage was a bellcrank (no cable) and the engine mounts were just two pieces of steel with rubber sandwiched between them. When the engine mount would break, the driver's side of the engine would raise on acceleration, and the throttle linkage would get jammed between the engine and firewall, holding the throttle open so if you let off the gas in a panic, the engine would still be racing. This caused quite a few accidents (all GM products that used a bellcrank throttle linkage had this problem) so GM's "fix" was to anchor the engine to the upper control arm shaft using aircraft cable in a loop. It kept the engine from raising when the mount broke, so the throttle linkage would not jam.



Now mounts are designed like yours, which fixes the problem the right way.
We dont have any throttle cables....its all fly by wire....:D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top