Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
blu ribbon 07 SE V6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this forum stuff but I'd like to ask a question.

I have an 07 V6 Camry. I got it 3 weeks ago and each full tank of gas has only given me aboyt 200miles. I changed from the regular (87) to the premium (93) and i still get the same gas milege....thats only about 12-15 miles per gallon which is ridiculous.

My V6 4x4 in 4wd would give me about 12 in the snow... so this car on dry pavement and mixed city/highway driving should be giving a liiil better than that! gees i'd b happy with 20mpg at this point. ANYONE HELP?

·
Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,565 Posts
it is cold these days.... especially in new york I bet, and that doesn't help with gas mileage... plus i'm just assuming city driving > highway driving, which is also bad in terms of mileages, and toyota does tell us that you will experience lower gas mileage until after your first oil change, this may explain why...

also, it doesn't hurt to search... there are a number of threads regarding poor gas mileage

·
blu ribbon 07 SE V6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt think of the 1st oil change thing..... thx im switchin the car over 2 full synthetic so i hope that works thx u!:clap:

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I have an I4 but I managed to pull this off a couple weeks ago. This is my post from a couple weeks ago. I don't think there should be that much of a difference unless it's a lot colder where you are or you are doing a lot more city driving than me.

touringcamry said:
I got 31.7 MPG mixed, about 70-75% highway, on my 07 I4. I drove 446 miles before the gas light came on. I drove about 7 miles after the light came on before filling up and I put in 14.3 gal. My car had 861 miles when I filled the tank.

Weather has been abnormally cold (for SoCal) during the period when I drove around with that tank of gas. It ranged from 19F to about 47F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar problem with my last car (Acura RL) and it was caused by a faulty brake caliper. That car had 185k miles before I starting getting poor mileage. Basically the brake caliper didn't release entirely causing the car to work extra hard against that resistance.

This resulted in me getting about 15 MPG instead of my usual 20 MPG. After I had it replaced, the problem went away.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
You have a brand new car that is tight. It takes time for bearings to loosen up and for the engine to seat in, so that affects mileage.

You live in NYC, and your idea of highway driving might be different from my idea of highway driving. I live in Dallas and can pull out of the driveway and be on the interstate in about 4 blocks. From there slide up to 75 mph, set the cruise and head off to Houston or Austin or El Paso. Never slow down on most occasions. (do need to stop for gas in Van Horn)!

In town I can get anywhere from 24 down to 17, depending upon how long it warms up, how many red lights I hit, and how hard I romp on it when it turns green.

Get a couple thousand miles on the car, fill it to the brim, and then take a nice little run down to Washington to express your opinions face to face with your Congressman, and see what sort of mileage you get from the trip.

·
Streaker
2013 Sunset Bronze T
1,802 Posts
rbeleno said:
Im new to this forum stuff but I'd like to ask a question.

I have an 07 V6 Camry. I got it 3 weeks ago and each full tank of gas has only given me aboyt 200miles. I changed from the regular (87) to the premium (93) and i still get the same gas milege....thats only about 12-15 miles per gallon which is ridiculous.

My V6 4x4 in 4wd would give me about 12 in the snow... so this car on dry pavement and mixed city/highway driving should be giving a liiil better than that! gees i'd b happy with 20mpg at this point. ANYONE HELP?
Dude' I live right across the bridge from you. Bring that car in . Something is definitely wrong with it. I've got my car since April and never got less than 24 miles per gallon no matter how hard I drive it!:confused:

·
blu ribbon 07 SE V6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just changed the oil today ($70 friggin dollars for full synthetic at the lube place!!!).... filled it with 93 and put 50miles on it. So far no needlemovement. So far so good..... well report back.

thanks guys. :thanks: :chug:

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
rbeleno said:
I just changed the oil today ($70 friggin dollars for full synthetic at the lube place!!!)
I think you're better of learning to do this yourself if you have the capability.

Either that or you can buy the parts yourselft and take it to a lube play and just pay for labor. The shop I used to go to in San Francisco charged $15 labor for an oil change if I brought my own oil and filter.

·
blu ribbon 07 SE V6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ohh definately..... I've changed the oil n brakes in all of my cars. Im 26yo and this is my 3rd new car (2 Camry's 03 SE i4 and the 07V6 now) im def doing the next one. I was talking with my dad and fam who are newer to imports (very old school Buick Caddilac family!! haha) and they were all surprised to hear my camry had that cannister and required that fitting to drain oil. No real complaints... i love my new car... i love the looks on the street and i love how i smoked this maxima yesterday on the taconic....

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Streaker said:
... I've got my car since April and never got less than 24 miles per gallon no matter how hard I drive it!:confused:
Same here....over 19k miles and never less than 24 mpg on a tank (even city driving with WOT at every light).

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
I get 450 miles a tank in my SE V6. one time i got over 500!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Only getting around 22-23 MPG now with combo City and Hwy.
I do usually do a 4-5 min warmup,tho.

·
Streaker
2013 Sunset Bronze T
1,802 Posts
Joe B said:
Only getting around 22-23 MPG now with combo City and Hwy.
I do usually do a 4-5 min warmup,tho.
I read years ago in Motor magazine (A magazine for auto mechanics) that all you need do is count to 10 and go. I've done that since and never had a problem. Although in 20 degree or below I will remote start it and wait a few minutes. I don't believe in wasting gas warming a car up if its not necessary. Also think of the enviorment! (Al Gore) Ha Ha!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Streaker said:
I read years ago in Motor magazine (A magazine for auto mechanics) that all you need do is count to 10 and go. I've done that since and never had a problem. Although in 20 degree or below I will remote start it and wait a few minutes. I don't believe in wasting gas warming a car up if its not necessary. Also think of the enviorment! (Al Gore) Ha Ha!
Yeah,I've heard that.
I've also heard if you don't warm up you should not go over 40 MPH for 4-5 miles.
A lot of opinions but I've always warmed up my vehicles.
That's why I've had remote start on my vehicles for years.
I just feel better warming when all oils are circulating and the vehicles throws heat faster.;)
A guy I work with who lives 60 miles one way from work got over 260K miles out of a Civic without warming.
I would joke with him about his car being like Fred Flintstone's and his using his feet to get it going..He had a stick and the car would roll a bit while he was starting it up and then he's just go.:)

·
Premium Member
2012 Base Tacoma 4x4, 2007 Camry XLE
1,329 Posts
Warming up your engine (even in the Summer) is the KEY to long life for your vehicle. I always warm my engines. I always get this thought in my head that metal on metal on a cold engine....scary thought. I have finally taught Mrs Dood this fact too. Now that we have a daughter with a permit she has become the official Car Wamer-upper....

Plus, it is just a nice feeling to get inside your car and the seats are warm...and the steering wheel is warm. The new Camry's do not blow air until they reach a cetain temp....takes about 10 minutes to finally get warm with this latest cold snap we are having...

·
Francois L'Ollonais
297 Posts
lininator515 said:
wtf. these posts depress me. i've never gotten over 400 miles on a full tank even when driving like a granny.
Same here. The top average is 25mpg and the car has 12,000 miles. So that "let it break in" is way past. So give me another excuse please. I just read the other post. These cars are selling for almost $3000 less than what I paid for a year ago. Read the reviews in Yahoo Auto Reviews and its sad. Another mistake I made. I guess these cars do suck. Very dissapointed with Toyotas. I'm gonna write to Toyota-man-san Katsuaki Watanabe and give him a piece of my mind.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
Dont drive hard, i get the advertised MPG easily. No hot-rodding!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts